Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gone with the wind.....my trip to Atlanta!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bodies is it all about ours, so why Turkeys.
    See i just presumed Margaret Mitchells house would be just like "Tara". I would have been seriously out of pocjket if l had gone in that gift shop.
    Sounds great Johnie and you really packed alot in. Were you all shattered after the drive home.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never read or seen GWTW,.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn it was/is shown every Christmas. Next time you're at your in-laws over a "holiday" season. That should pass a few bookless hours.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    But as a film it's too long for me. Any film over 2 hours in length I struggle with. Besides, the Civil War is not really my era.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah ok then.See l love the civil war era. Just reading and watching up more on it now . Superb docu started up on Sky.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneybumble, post: 106858
    See i just presumed Margaret Mitchells house would be just like "Tara".
    Actually, Margaret Mitchell's apartment was referred to by her as "the Dump"!

However, don't give up on Tara!

While Tara itself was a fictional residence, it actually has a foundation in fact. Jonesboro, about 30 minutes south of Atlanta, is considered home to "Tara" and has Stately Oaks, a plantation house that is representative of the type of home that Margaret Mitchell modeled Tara on. If you get a chance to see it, you'll probably be quite surprised if you're comparing it to the pictures shown in GWTW. In GWTW, the pictures of Tara make it appear quite large by anyone's standard. The reality is quite different. While a good sized house, these plantation homes are nowhere as large as they were made out to be. But it does make for an interesting tour and provides a fascinating glimpse of history.

Tom (now where's my Mint Julep?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a terrific trip!

Although, I would have passed on "bodies." Even the mounted heads at Pitty Pat's Porch (did I get that right?) would have freaked me out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a wonderful trip!! I always want to tag along on your adventures

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneybumble, post: 106858
    Bodies is it all about ours, so why Turkeys.
    See i just presumed Margaret Mitchells house would be just like "Tara". I would have been seriously out of pocjket if l had gone in that gift shop.
    Sounds great Johnie and you really packed alot in. Were you all shattered after the drive home.
    It is all human bodies.....however the one thigh thing really looked like turkey and just grossed me out.

The exhibit wasn't gross. There is no blood. It's actually kind of hard to see realize it's real.

The Civil War isn't really my era of history either but the movie is fantastic. I didn't watch it until I was an adult because I just don't do well with movies that come on more than one night. It came on in full one Sunday afternoon and I started watching. I was completely enthralled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very much like turkey jerky.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast