Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrified.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few months ago, a girlfriend asked me to read some poetry at her wedding in May. Quite honored, I said yes.

Friday, she came to my office in tears. Apparently the person she hired to shoot her wedding has gone out of business. She did a bit of checking and could only find a couple of other photographers who could shoot on her date and they were *all* almost double the price.

Long story short (?) she asked me if I'd be willing to photograph their wedding.

I told her that I was extremely flattered but could I have the weekend to think about it? She agreed.

I'm so torn. I want to help her out and I'm dead excited at the prospect...but this is her WEDDING! It's a small affair and simple to the core...but I still want things to be perfect for her...

Thoughts? Advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would absolutely be terrified as well, but think of it this way, she obviously trusts and believes in you enough to ask. I would go for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    gosh, no advice but what an honour......not sure i would take up the offer though

Post Thanks / Like
    mind you, i'd probably take better photos than *our* wedding photographer did!

Post Thanks / Like
    oh dear God :/ As you know, I've done more than a few and I'm trembling for you.

ok first things first, try and find her another professional photographer. I truly mean it. Ask the ones who are double the price if they'll do a deal for less hours for less money and get them to at least cover the ceremony. (you can cover the getting ready and reception with FAR less stress)

Do anything to get a pro involved in there somewhere/sometime on the day.

If there's just no chance then with that out of the way, you WILL be able to do it and I have many ideas on how but it'll need serious prep., some helpers, some work after the event etc. I've seen shots of yours from weddings and you're great. So creatively I don't think you'll have a problem, it's just the technical stuff when you have to cover "everything"

Sorry to be a bit of a downer :/ but of all the photography, covering a wedding properly is the hardest thing I've ever tried
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaysus

you got some research to do girl!! Keith may be able to help you out.

just editing: don't want you to think that i don't think you're good enough at all- just i would be terrified too!

Post Thanks / Like
    See, I knew you guys would understand!!! Jon doesn't understand what I'm waffling about...he's even offered to buy me a new camera!!

But I just keep saying, "This is a WEDDING." And I would never want to spoil someone's day.

Please NO ONE think I'm going to be offended by your remarks. I need a realistic conversation about this...so I appreciate every bit of what I'm hearing.

Keith, I like your idea about contacting the photographers directly for her. I'll think I'll do that first. Awesome idea.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be a "back up" or a "candids" shooter...but to be responsible for the entire day is just not something I think I'm willing to risk my friendship for!

Post Thanks / Like
    i would take Keiths advice but also accept the offer of a new camera, oh and a new lens he he

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL!! Well OF COURSE!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 107625
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be a "back up" or a "candids" shooter...but to be responsible for the entire day is just not something I think I'm willing to risk my friendship for!
    That's spot on, exactly, 100% the right way to look at it.

I went to my first one thinking I'd taken thousands as a guest and it'd be easier because I'd have the proper access as the main photography. SOOOOO wrong.

To start with I'd planned on doing get ready photos of the guys then across to the ladies. I hadn't planned on the fact that the guys were still hung over and weren't going to get ready until 5seconds before leaving Over to the ladies house then where they'd already done everything 9 gazillion hours before they needed to Now I'm struggling to get all the detail shots of shoes, flowers and stuff that I need to so I'm trying to fumble through those when the cars arrive. So much for my planned shots of well, the cars arriving

Then there's working out why certain shots arent focussed right or look too dark, getting everyone in the right place at the right time to pose properly. Finding out what conditions the venue puts on photography, planning what happens if it rains and and and

Just went like that all through the day. I was blown away by how much preparation and planning needs to go into event photography when it's always looked so easy from a guest's point of view.

I got through it and fine, I've learnt a lot but a couple of years ago I agreed to help out a friend by being his second shooter. We did great all day, got back to his place to upload all the photos and found that all his shots had been corrupted by the camera when writing to the memory card. Seriously not a usable one from the whole day. Luckily mine had worked but it's a sickening feeling!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast