Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: walkie talkies or text?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. They vary greatly. I had the international service put on my phone (a fee, plus text charges when used) but could never get a text to go through! I could receive some, but that was it. I had it removed. I can still get texts (at least from Wendy :D ) but can't send them back to her.

Texting is sometimes faster than a phone call. On the other hand, I usually prefer a phone call when I am trying to work out something...

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Well if your coming to the states, it is probably cheaper to buy a prepaid phone at Wal-Mart and go that route. The texting can be pretty cheap that way.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Those prepaid phones have their own problems. Just ask our Wendy. I can't remember the whole thing, but what a trial they went through trying to get the silly phone to work.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Really? Oh good grief.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    We bought the phones the last time we were there so we could have them ready for when we arrived in December. The terms and conditions had changed and instead of it having the $10 credit, you had to put $50 on to get the credit there was something else as well but I can't remember.

We didn't bother this time, we will just go to Walmart and buy one when we get there - it will be easier We are sold on it now and will always buy a phone to use.

I would certainly advise it for anyone from the UK though, it is cheaper than using your UK phone for texting and calling. We had a bit of an emergency - I forgot to take enough medication with me :rolleyes008: and so we called Chris' Dad from the phone, we were talking for about 10 minutes and it only cost me about $4.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you purchase a prepaid phone with a credit for minutes or purchase a card for minutes, most of the carriers require that it be activated and the minutes loaded within a certain period of time from date of purchase. Some are 30 days, some less, others longer.

Be sure to read the fine print when your purchase either the phones or minutes and you should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yes, you have to keep the phone activated or else it won't work and you'd have to start all over again.

Post Thanks / Like
    And the definition of activation varies by carrier. Some require that you maintain an account balance and add to it monthly, others consider it activated if you load minutes every 6 months.

Discovered that on my AT&T phone. Missed a tiny bit of fine print. Okay, didn't miss it, just lost track of time. So when I went to load time a 6 months and 10 days, I no longer had a valid telephone number. They hadn't reassigned it yet, so I got it back.

Now have T-Mobile, as I llike their terms better. Once I loaded $100 in time, minutes rolled over and time didn't have to be added monthly. I can add $10 once a year and maintain my phone with the minutes rolling over nicely. I think it took me two years to use $100 in minutes, but I finally got there! You can add it in one lump sum, but since my phone isn't used regularly, it made more sense to add it incrementally.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12