Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welcoming March

Post Thanks / Like
    It's what my Nan always used to make on a Saturday.
    I think her family came from the Sheffield area.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/u...pdf?1235032080

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    We won't be seeing autumn any time soon - forecast for the week is low 30s which equates to mid 80s!!

They said it would be a long summer this year and it looks like they were right.

Oh well Gareth and I are going to a waterpark later in the month so it will be nice if it's still hot then!
    Next trip - Bali! (March 2015)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! That's an elaborate preparation! I'm not too sure I'd care for it, but I'd sure try it. :D :D

Thanks for the link!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    We've had lots of March birthdays since I met Donna and now we have one more with the arrival of Aniyah Grace.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Fairies !!! I like March then . Even though were due a foot of snow by 3 AM .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 111395
    Wow! That's an elaborate preparation! I'm not too sure I'd care for it, but I'd sure try it. :D :D

Thanks for the link!
    Tink i'll make it for you when you visit ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, DB, I love meat pudding too...and anything else in suet (golden surup...mmm!!!) ! I used to love being at my Nanna's when she made a suet pudding and wrapped it in a teatowel to boil :D I can appreciate it sounds a bit strange Tink!!

Well, March started yesterday with the promise of Spring and we were all ready to go to the garden centre and get stocked up to plant out some pots, when we saw the weather forecast for the week....the promise of more snow, and definitely rain and chilly weather. So, does this mean we have started with a lion or a lamb? I agree about there being something about months beginning on the first day of the week Tink...seems like a nice extra-fresh start Lots of birthdays in March for me too, and of course the Spring Equinox.

As for faeries....well, I love them...though I'm not so sure about the little fellas...too naughty for me.... ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Whya' winking DizneyBlonde? I am coming over some day you know! :D :D

Deb, same here. I wanted to get some flowers in (I have these cool seed balls that grow forget me nots) pansies or violets, something along those lines, but the weather still threatens a freeze.

I think our March came in a bit like a lion. It was a cold and blustery day. Maybe a lion kitten?

What is the outside texture of the meat pudding like? I know it's wrapped in cloth then steamed or boiled (not too sure which? ) but once it's cooked what is the outer dough like? Is it wet and soggy? (Mama's dumplings were on the outside, that's why I ask. Didn't like them. :( ).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Tink, the outside of the meat pudding is kinda soggy, but not what I'd call wet, like the soft dumplings we'd have in broth or something similar. It's soft, but the dough is in one piece if that makes sense and holds together, rather than be crumbly or falling apart? The beef suet holds it together. But it doesn't go totally firm like a pastry would. Because it is wrapped in a cloth, which is inside a ceramic bowl, it doesn't actually touch the water itself while it's cooking - it's totally protected from it and is cooked by the heat of the water warming the bowl. My Nanna used to tightly tie greaseproof paper over the top of the bowl too as an extra protective layer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I meant to add, if you like your suet pudding crisp and not soft at all, the other way to do it is like my Mum did her delicious onion pudding...loads of buttery sliced onions in the bottom of the bowl, then topped with the suet mix that also had chopped onion mixed into it, and baked uncovered in the oven until the topping was totally crispy! Yum!! :D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast