Thread: Hillbilly: The Real Story on History Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    This is so weird to see all these place I know on tv. This is where my mom's family is from.

It's been quite good. It tells how people came to settle in the Appalachia mountains, the Hatfield-McCoy Feud, the coal industry.

I wouldn't wish a coal miner job on my worst enemy

From the History Channel website

Billy Ray Cyrus hosts this fascinating account of the history and culture of this important slice of the American pie.

•Hillbillies gave America its most popular spectator sport: NASCAR.
    •The label "hillbilly" may date to 17th Century Ireland.
    •This feature-length documentary celebrates a unique facet of America's melting pot.

As this wide-ranging documentary makes clear, the disparaging label "hillbilly" should actually be worn with pride.

Join host Billy Ray Cyrus on a journey into the hollers and runs of Appalachia to discover the proud legacy of the region's mountain folk. Learn how hillbillies, long misunderstood and maligned as isolated and backward, actually have a 300-year history of achievement and success that has contributed significantly to our national identity.

In this two-hour special you'll meet outcast immigrants, war heroes, isolated backwoodsmen, hard working miners, fast moving moon shiners, religious warriors, musicians and statesmen. You'll learn of their contributions, which include establishing the first labor unions, battling the British, and spawning some of the most popular aspects of American culture today, like NASCAR and country music. And you'll see them in a whole new light.

Consider this remarkable program, HILLBILLY: THE REAL STORY, a deliverance from our preconceptions and a celebration of a valuable feature of our American landscape.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Did they have to use the word, deliverance?

Do you remember the Foxfire books? I used to have the entire collection but sold them when we sold the big house. Not sure I should have done that.

My Grandmother's brother, Ulysses was a Kentucky coal miner and yes, he died of black lung. :(

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    this would be interesting...if I had television.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 112047
    Did they have to use the word, deliverance?

Do you remember the Foxfire books? I used to have the entire collection but sold them when we sold the big house. Not sure I should have done that.

My Grandmother's brother, Ulysses was a Kentucky coal miner and yes, he died of black lung. :(
    I didn't even notice the deliverance part.

My papa did too. Though later they took his benefits away from my grandma saying he had really died from cigarettes. He gave up cigarettes 30 years prior to that.

I don't think I have heard of the Foxfire books?

Ducky, you can buy the DVD on the history channel. I almost bought the one about cannibals

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my gosh! They are a series about the skills and traditions, life style, work, ect. of folks living in the Southern Appalachins. If I remember correctly, it was started by a schoolteacher and his class... it's been a long time.

They may have been published before you were born...or certainly when you were only a baby.

Wicked informative. I learned loads of things from them.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to look for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tink!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't realize there were so many. I think I only had six or so.

I've not seen that site before. Many cool things! I think with your history you need the entire set!

I'd forgotten that there was a magazine too.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks very interesting