Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ukjays work experience placement

Post Thanks / Like
    seeing that he doesn't pop in much to tell you anything i thought i'd do it instead!

next week he has to spend a doing work experience and this is where he's going......he'll be doing Admin stuff so photocopying and things like that I imagine but it looks really interersting doesn't it?

his original placement working with my BIL-to-be (checking on areas needed vegetation (weed!) management and such like) was refused as he'd be walking on the pavements - 'cos like he doesn't walk on the pavements every single day does he...oh no!

the school then offered him hotel work, making beds. I'm sorry but that is not acceptable for a work experience placement, nothing wrong with it you understand but i don't think it's acceptable. if they were to show how a hotel is run then fine - but changing beds......

sooooo they suddenly came up with the projects abroad one which we jumped at. I spoke with the lady who will be responsible for him he's there and she seems really nice - we get to go out and say Hi to her Friday afternoon, AND it's only 1/2 hours walk away or 5 minutes in the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks fab.

Work experience is so hard to get these days too.Do your schools find the work experience for the kids then?

I have had a nightmare trying to sort DD's with her and she has been refused by so many places as they are booked up so far in advance.She originally applied to all the Zoos,aquariums and vets in the area but got nowhere.
    She has applied for forensic or scenes of crime placements with the police but they don't/won't do it.
    We are quite restricted for travel because of public transport and i will be at work so i can't take her.She has ended up getting a place at an estate/letting agent that my friend works at as the school were getting on at her to get something sorted.It's not until July either!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this something all UK students have to do before they graduate?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    i guess - i don't remember it being such a big deal when i did it though.

DB, they have places on their books but we were given the impression you should sort it out yourself if you could. What a nightmare!

We were only told beginning of December that there were 2 groups, one in March, one in July so we had very litttle time to get it sorted.

We put the form in before Christmas and only got told beginning Feb (by my BIL, not the school) that it had been refused.

So by then there wasn't much left on the schools books. Then they offered him the hotel place so I got on the phone and spent the last couple of weeks trying to get a place for him but they're either not doing it anymore due to insurances or they're fully booked.

Suddenly this place came up and i thought it was really interesting

my niece of the same age is at a different school and had no choice but to organise her own

Post Thanks / Like
    That place looks great!!! I loved my work experience. I did mine at a design firm in Liverpool called the smiling wolf.
    http://www.smilingwolf.co.uk/
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 112393
    That place looks great!!! I loved my work experience. I did mine at a design firm in Liverpool called the smiling wolf.
    http://www.smilingwolf.co.uk/
    cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Same as our school.

The kids are told the date and told to get on with it!Working there i managed to get hold of the directory with contacts companies and names but it was so out of date it was a waste of time.

It was a huge stress we didn't need so i'm glad it's sorted now even though it's not what she wanted to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    i wonder how many kids there are out there doing something they're really not interested in

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in contact with someone who is head of the fingerprint departement for Devon and Cornwall police which took loads of phonecalls but it's what she wanted to do.
    However after applying and being told it shouldn't be a problem i had an email saying that the whole department was being restructured and it wasn't a good time for her to visit.
    She was gutted but it's too late now to keep trying as the forms and visits take ages to complete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember, work experience isn't all about what we want to do in life. It's taking an experience and making it work! It's really great when it's possible to get some experience in a field related to major studies or personal interest, but realistically, most of us work in jobs that are less than inspiring at some point in our lives. It's important to learn how to handle both situations professionally.

That said, we didn't have anything like that when I was in school many centuries ago. I think it would have benefited many students if they actually had to get out and work and be responsible for even one week!

Let's hope all of our Disney Secrets students have positive work experiences! :)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast