Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I was at the gym yesterday when...

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm I knew there was a reason I didn't like the gym.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's insane. Sadly, I've drank my diet coke while on the elliptical.

I don't like gyms, first for all the germs floating around. And secondly, I tend to get too competitive while on a machine next to someone. :)

Btw, it was so nice here that I got to exercise outside. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two kids, therefore I like the gym.

It's the quietest hour and a half of my day :D

Post Thanks / Like
    a good way to get some peace and quiet.

I just wish there was a fat people gym The toned and muscular people intimidate me.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you mean, Johnie.

Last week I decided to add strength training to my workouts. I did a bit of research, chatted with a trainer friend of mine and was *pumped*. I walked over to the weight equipment and I immediately panicked. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't move, I couldn't even remember my name. I felt completely out of control and I suddenly felt like everyone was staring at me. I somehow managed to flee to the women's bathroom and hid for about twenty minutes before retreating to the safety and anonymity of the elliptical once more.

I don't know why I was so intimidated. The machines are unfamiliar, sure...but I'm not typically bothered by new experiences. In the end, after thinking about it...and of course analyzing it for ages...there was something disconcerting about being on the machines or on the floor with the bands and the balls...something akin to "making a spectacle of myself." On the elliptical, I can be anonymous, one of 45 other people pedaling away...I get lost in my music and quite forget where I am. But on the floor...on the machines...well there I would be...on display...for everyone to see...and everyone to judge. I felt unworthy, as if people would say, "Seriously? You're working out? With a ball? You're gonna need a lot more than a ball." or "Don't bust the bands fatty." And the machines themselves...I just felt like I was in the way of the "real" people who wanted to use the machines.

Back on the elliptical I watched all the "real" people exercise...and then I got mad :D *I* wanted to be down there, too! Two days later I tried again...this time a bit more determined...I haven't looked back since :D

And the "muscles" they're quite nice actually, and ALWAYS willing to hand out a bit of free advice :D

Post Thanks / Like
    good for you for getting out there! I know exactly what you are talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have trumped the elliptilizing coffee drinker. I walked into the gym yesterday to find a woman on the elliptical (probably mid sixties) in full make-up, every hair in place (HAD to be Aquanet) with her very GINORMOUS purse hanging from her shoulder.

Locker? Party of one!

Still not convinced she won't come off of it lopsided...

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen a lot of women with perfect make-up, workout gear and accessories in a gym. But a purse? That's a new one for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12