Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to see Saturn

Post Thanks / Like
    Saturn is not going to be great this year but it is still possible to see it as a small gold disc and for those who have recently bought telescopes you will be able to see his moons , the rings are usually spectacular but at the moment they are virtually side on to us so you may only see a hint of them if at all.

If we ever get another clear night go out in the evening and try and find orion - he is setting in the west now that Spring is approaching if you look now to the left of him to a more southerly aspect you will after a bit of time start to pickout the large constellation of leo the most distinctive part of this contellation is tha large backwards ? which marks his head on a star map it looks like

It is much larger than I thought from looking at star maps but once you have found it there really is no mistaking it, regulus is quite bright

Now just infront of where the lions back paws would be ( to the right of denebula) you will see a bright gold star like object that is not shimmering like the other stars - this is Saturn

if you look at it at about 120 odd magnification you should see it as a tiny disc and you should esily see 2-3 moons around it. if you let your eyes become adaped over time you may see some surface detail but you really need a large apature to fully see this. The rings may be 'just' visible as a streak accross the planet.

At the moment it is quite dim and quite small but this will improve a little over the coming weeks.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help

Post Thanks / Like
    We were walking out of a shop the other night, and invoked the name of Skywatcher...

"Look at that! It looks like the Islamic nations flag! Dr. Chris would know what it was we were looking at." Herself felt the very bright "star" near the tip of the crescent moon was a planet (I did not disagree) and thought it might be Venus? but wasn't sure.

So, Dr. Astronomer Skywatcher what were we looking at (and why weren't you there with us and your trusty telescope)?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how many people are invoking the name skywatcher whilst walking along we did it only last night on a midnight walk. It was SUPPOSED to be cloudy but for a few minutes the clouds went and it was crystal clear with some really defined and bright objects. I kicked myself for not bringing my skywatcher "guide to identifying things for lazy Keith's" which would have told me what I was looking at as it was I had to make do with the somewhat less intellectually satisfying "ooooo look at that one! Bright hey! mmmmm!"
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed!!! Same here. Pointing and being awed is the extent of my astronomical expertise.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Skywatcher...there are rumours we may have a clear night this weekend because of the heavy overnight for being forecast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep at it chaps it will come

the moon is great over the next few nights loads of lovely craters in show my fav part of the moon infact

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't even find Leo. Apparently it is behind the houses over the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    That was awesome!!! I saw rings and moons and and and....

I was looking at something over 900 million miles away and seeing detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brilliant you are now officially hooked for life - once you have seen those rings there is no hope for you now you will get the urge to show everyone you know, then you will get the urge to photograph them

Post Thanks / Like
    No one has said it? In a skywatcher thread...god I guess I have to be sophmoric

How do I see Uranus?

God I just kill myself...

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast