Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WAKEY WAKEY

Post Thanks / Like
    So do they start to wake up on their own or do you need to start the process?

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 114249
    So do they start to wake up on their own or do you need to start the process?
    It depends really on which method you are using. Some people use the 'box method' where they have an outbuilding such as a shed which stays cool enough. They will wake themselves up if they get too warm (about 8-20), but generally you have to start the process yourself as the shed will stay cool for a loong time- even in the summer some are really cool! You wait until they have lost 10% of their body weight, and then you start the process yourself if they are not already awake.

I use the fridge method myself, so obviously as long as I leave the fridge turned on they won't get too warm, so i have to take them out of the fridge into a cool room when they have lost 10% of bodyweight, or until they get to 12 weeks (Whichever comes first!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 114248
    Quite a little collection then! Any babies now or are they all growing up?
    I don't have any babies that i have bred myself, but two of mine are still only tiny (Buzz and Woody), so I class them as 'babies' I have a breeding male and female so hopefully this will be my year for eggs!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to the photos, Josh! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    We saw some torts in AK, yesterday. I wish I could remember the names of the really little ones we saw.

I thought of you and told Seth that you knew loads about tortoises, and he asked "Will 'ee teach me 'bout 'em?" I assured him you would.

Two of them were really small torts with a cream shell and dark markings. They were the cutest!

Looking forward to seeing the photos of your torts waking up. Sure hope you find the card reader soon! :9: :9: :9:

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to seeing the pics Josh. I have told Lily and she wants to come and see babY Niamh and the torts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 114721
    We saw some torts in AK, yesterday. I wish I could remember the names of the really little ones we saw.

I thought of you and told Seth that you knew loads about tortoises, and he asked "Will 'ee teach me 'bout 'em?" I assured him you would.

Two of them were really small torts with a cream shell and dark markings. They were the cutest!

Looking forward to seeing the photos of your torts waking up. Sure hope you find the card reader soon! :9: :9: :9:
    Where they babies or aduls. Tink? They sound like egyptian

Which are the smallest species of Land tortoise (that one is only a baby, adults would fit in the palm of your hand!)

If Seth wants to know anything about tortoises let me know and I will give him some answers :D :D I will be more than happy to help

I am just going into Town with my sister and Niamh to take some clothes back, and then I will post the pics of the babies waking up :D
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Niamh is due a bottle first so we are feeding her, taking Mum to work and then going to ASDA to take back the clothes, Here are the pics of them emerging and basking... the bath pics turned out grainy cos of the lighting so I haven't included them- I'll take more pics tomorrow when they get their next bath :D

Buzz and Woody emerging

Woody

Buzz

Buzz Basking

Their Home :D
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    Awwwww, thanks Josh. They are just so darn cute!!

I don't know if they were adults...but they weren't as small as the one on the finger in the photo. Larger, but certainly not large, easily fit in the palm of one's hand.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Aww Buzz looks really happy to be awake!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    wow

My parents have had one tortoise for maybe 15 years, and it has never hibernated

this is fascinating!!

cant see the pics here :(

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast