1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

6th Timer's show the Newbie how It's done ~ Day 1

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by mInNiE, Oct 19, 2008.

1. mInNiE

mInNiE Earning my ears

Magic Kingdom, Golden Coral, Premium Oulets and Epcot

This morning we woke up early even though we’d all had such a late night. It was almost 2am by the time we fell into bed last night. As soon as we woke up, I was straight outside it had been too dark to see anything last night. We saw some early morning hot air balloons in the distance…and I decided to have a little dip to test out the pool, very nice it was too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan for today was to hit MK early as we thought this would be the best park for Alun to see first, being the home of the mouse and all – then leave when it got too hot and then onto Epcot in the evening to catch the last Elton John ‘Captain Fantasmic’ show which was part of Epcot’s Sounds Like Summer concert series.

After a quick shower, we piled into the Chrysler and made our way to WDW. We paid for parking and were guided to Pluto.

[​IMG]

We decided to take the ferry today to take everything in. One of the Cast Members told us that there would be only one ferry running as they had a problem with the other and it would be a little wait. We were close to the front of the line so decided to stay and we were early enough so it didn’t matter.

[​IMG]

Into the MK our first stop was Town Hall because I’d promised Alun a ‘1st Timer’ badge lol! I didn’t think he’d be too keen on the idea but when the Cast Member handed the badge over Alun quite happily pinned it to his hat.

[​IMG]

Alun with his new badge!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that Alun was sorted we decided to make our way over to Splash Mountain, stopping for the tradition of the photo’s infront of the castle along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We found Splash to be a walk on even though the wait time was posted for 10 minutes. It was still early at this point but it was lovely to get into the covered queueing area to get out of the heat! Me and Alun got the worst of the splash on the drop but again it was a refreshing cool down!
    We then thought we’d try our luck and head over to Big Thunder Mountain, again this was posted as 5 minutes but was a walk on which was great:207:

We strolled back towards Pirates of the Carribean and were more or less called over by one of the Cast Members who said that it was also a walk on.

As we came out of Pirates, we noticed the next PhotoPass photographers of the holiday. I had been nominated to look after the little card that you have to hand in and so the PhotoPass photographer started snapping away. He handed us a sword and told us to aim it towards the little window. They were a great laugh and obviously have a whale of a time at work. They asked us to look scared and told us that they would be adding Captain Hook to our photo’s.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next stop was Peter Pan’s Flight, this is an old favourite of my DB’s and we all joked about how, on previous trips, we used to go around and around this ride hundreds of times because my DB kept missing Tinkerbell at the start.

After spotting Tink, we headed over to Mickey’s Philharmagic, a first for us all and I thought it was excellent! I loved singing along to all the songs and the 3D effects were great! It was really beginning to heat up at this point so we decided to head to the shelter of Space Mountain and the air con. We waited no more than ten minutes and were soon whizzing around in the dark!

The final stop was Buzz Lightyear and was the longest queue of the morning but still only about fifteen minutes. Alun was using this as a pre-training session for Universal’s Men In Black and got quite stroppy with me when I kept moving us in the opposite direction to where he was ‘trying to shoot’ lol he was even more stroppy when I beat him! Don’t ask me how though, I was aiming all over the place.
    [​IMG]
    We then headed out of the park and my DM and me guided the men on a slight de-tour through the shops on Main Street, we had a quick browse and a laugh at Alun trying on all the hats.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We then caught the Monorail back to the Transportation Centre and jumped on a tram back to the boiling hot car.

By now we were all starving and went to the Golden Corall for a fill (sorry no pics this time). The selection here was huge as usual and we all tucked into Southern Fried chicken, spicy chips, pizza, salad, rice, bourbon chicken, burgers, mash and more not to mention the desserts!

Suitably stuffed, we had more time than we thought before having to head back to the villa so decided to make the first shopping trip of the holiday back to the old faithful Premium Outlets! Now my DM and myself are VERY lucky here as both Alun and my DF don’t mind shopping and actually this became a recurring theme on the holiday as Alun bought more than any of us! He started his purchases off with a pair of bargain jeans from Ralph Lauren although I left empty handed but plenty of time for shopping later!

After a quick hour around the outlets, the next stop was the mighty Walmart. This is another tradition where we always stock up on goodies for the villa, the usual Bud’s, wine, cans of Diet Coke and bottles of water, crisps and snacks. Then back to the villa for some downtime. We all chilled out for a few hours before getting ready to go back to Epcot. Alun and I went for a dip in the pool and my mother got familiar with the washing machine and dryer!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We then showered and got ourselves ready to go and see Elton over in Epcot, a quick PhotoPass photo one the way in…….

[​IMG]

We made our way around the WS towards America, which is where the concerts were being held. As we passed the UK we caught the tail end of the Beatles show and then stopped off for a little look around Morocco on the way.

The UK
    [​IMG]

Morocco
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We made it in time for the final ‘Captain Fantasmic’ show of the evening at 7.45pm and took our seats. It was still really warm even at this time which is something I’d forgotten about from previous trips. Elton came on and began his set singing a few familiar songs and also some I didn’t know, we sang along to the ones we knew and here are some pics...

Elton
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the show we continued around the WS and took a spot near Mexico to watch Illuminations, the show was great and a lovely way to finish our first full day. Alun was already amazed at the themeing and the lengths Disney go to to put on a show. These are some of the better Illuminations photo’s although, I think they are the best of a bad bunch lol, our camera doesn’t seem to ‘do’ fireworks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the show, we made our way back to the villa tired but happy! :p015:

We stopped off in Publix on the way back, I forget what for but my DM can never pass a shop without going in! After chilling in the villa for a while, we all went to bed ready for Aquatica and SW tomorrow!

2. Jodie

Jodie Addicted to Mickey

A lovely day, you look super cute in your pj's with your toe dipped in the water!

3. nannav

nannav Earning my ears

im enjoying reading this in antisapation for the ones i havent seen yet;):p015:

4. justme

justme Earning my ears

i love you pics looks like you were all having a great time

5. sazzledazzle

sazzledazzle Earning my ears

Great day, I bet Alun loved it lol! I bet the pool was lovely after the heat of the parks.
    Goibg to find next chapter now Thanks again X

6. caz1712

caz1712 Earning my ears

Fab first day! Love Alun and his ears! Oh and the boys love the catpatin hook photopass pictures - they just looked over my shoulder and said can we get our picture fighting Captain Hook!!!:hug2:

Can't wait!

xxx

7. Ilovesnowwhitej

Ilovesnowwhitej Earning my ears

A busy first day, your camera does do fireworks, the pictures have even got the firework tails.
    xx

8. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

What a great day! I love the photos of the castle from outside the Noodle Terrace, I have never taken any from there before, they look fantastic! :D

9. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Hooray!! Great report - love all the pictures :p015:

10. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Loved reading your report :yes: Have to try and get some of those Hook photos next trip!