Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heroes come home....

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I got there in plenty of time me and DH and Dad... We got our picnic chairs out to wait ready. It was a bit chilly and blustery but not too bad, it could have been worse it could have been raining hard. Suddenly we could hear in the distance a marching band... there were lots of people lining the high street and a police presence was felt. The atmosphere was light and nothing sinister in the air. There was a lone Muslim woman standing by waiting with us, which was unusual.

Suddenly the band came nearer and then the troops were marching towards us... We stood up and everyone started clapping, as the troops got level to me I couldn't contain myself anymore... I started yelling as loud as I could THANK YOU! THANK YOU! SO PROUD OF YOU, THANK YOU EVERYBODY, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO..... I got a few smiles from them as they proudly marched on by and then they were gone..... I was the only gobby one there..... but oh well it felt really darn good! It was an honour to be able to welcome them home.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have been yelling right along with you Helly! And most likely blubbing like a fool. It's the uniforms. There is something that undoes me anytime I see a group in uniform (well, with the exception of the boy scouts ). Or fly overs. Instant tears.

You KNOW that it made their day to have so many people there and to have you showing how very happy you were for them!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope so because I really was the ONLY gobby one there.... but I didn't let that put me off, I don't embarrass easily... too bliddy confident for me own good. Other bystanders turned to look at me but they were grinning at me... so I carried on and would have done so anyway. I did think.. oh gawd was I being disrespectful? But it's too late now it's done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola DeVille, post: 115826
    I was the only gobby one there..... but oh well it felt really darn good! It was an honour to be able to welcome them home.
    Well done you!!! And thanks for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 115835
    There is something that undoes me anytime I see a group in uniform (well, with the exception of the boy scouts ). Or fly overs. Instant tears.
    Me too. I had to stop going to the Rememberance Day parades because I couldn't stop crying.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    awwww Helly

Post Thanks / Like
    Helly, I think the returning troops need a bit more of your brand of "welcome home!" It's good to know that someone cared enough to be moved to shout!!! :9:

Disrespect? Of course not! It's a joyous event!

Heck, my grandfather told me that the streets of Paris (and other cities/areas) in France erupted at the liberation. The French were running and shouting and kissing the soldiers... exuberance has it's time and place!!!

Now, had you charged the line and flung yourself into the arms of that tall handsome one there, wrapping yourself around him like a cloak, that might have been just a touch too overboard...

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    was it the Royal Anglicans Helly? my friend's son was marching, he marched in Stamford too. I can't believe the protesters they have made me so mad, i totally agree with free speech but going to a welcome home parade and making signs saying 'baby killers' is totally out of order imo. The other point of course is that if i stood and protested outside a mosque with a banner saying 'terrorist' i would be in jail quicker that you can say osama bin laden. There is no equity.

anyway well done Helly, I know that the soldiers and their families get great strength from people appreciating what they do whether they believe in the cause or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ulitimately, the "cause" is that our children, our spouses, our parents, our other relatives, our friends, our neighbors, and people we don't know have put their lives on the line. Period. That is the "cause."

Anyone who has the courage to do that has my complete and utter respect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 115784
    I was in the service during the Viet Nam era and can tell you from personal experience what it's like to be spit on in an airport.

To all of you who are giving of your time and effort to go out and thank the troops for their service, I say thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Tom (... a veteran, and proud of it!)
    I am also a Vietnam Era Vet, USAF. I have to admit that I was always treated with respect when I was in uniform. I served in the USAFE Honor Guard and we did a funeral for a military vet in France and they couldn't have been nicer to us.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    You are, John? I guess I didn't know that! Thank you!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast