Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Next version of iphone firmware previewed

Post Thanks / Like
    you can use it but it costs you more, it costs 4 texts to send 1 if you see what i mean, all the prices can be found online- or they have bolt ons for people specifically who travel a lot- for instance you can buy data to use over there. YOu will need to notify them before you go though, and if you haven't had the contract long sometimes they will make you pay a deposit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax1970, post: 124139
    Can I jump in on this thread and ask what happens when you are in the US with a UK O2 iPhone contract? Do you get charged for using it?

Always wanted an iPhone. Really thinking about it now, looks like a great gadget. But I don't understand anything about this sort of thing. Please help?
    Fully recommend the iphone, really great device.

In terms of US with O2, as Britchick says it all works but costs more basically.

The calls cost multiple pounds and don't forget, you pay to RECEIVE calls over there too so even if someone calls you, it'll get expensive quickly.

Some people set voicemail and there's a trick here. If you set divert to voicemail BEFORE you leave the UK, it's cheap/free. If you set it once you're in the states, you'll pay for the call to get to the states and back to your voicemail so again, expensive.

Texts are probably the most useful way to use it abroad since they don't cost that much and you don't pay to receive on o2.

The easiest way to go bankrupt though is to leave the data connection live. that's a small fortune per Megabyte. Fortunately the Iphone knows when it's roaming abroad and defaults to turning the data connection off.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 124151
    The easiest way to go bankrupt though is to leave the data connection live. that's a small fortune per Megabyte. Fortunately the Iphone knows when it's roaming abroad and defaults to turning the data connection off.
    that is sooooooooo clever!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 124237
    that is sooooooooo clever!!
    <center></center>

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys - so can I use GPS over there - or is that chargeable too? I just think it would be really cool to walk roond the parks one day watching myself move on the GPS! Sad, I know, but it would make me happy!

I am so close to buying one of these - and that 45 Quidco offer is very tempting.
    Have you ordered yours yet Britchick?
    Jackie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 124241
    <center></center>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax1970, post: 124740
    Thanks guys - so can I use GPS over there - or is that chargeable too? I just think it would be really cool to walk roond the parks one day watching myself move on the GPS! Sad, I know, but it would make me happy!
    You can use GPS but if you were to pull down any maps over GPRS/3G you'd be back to paying a lot of money for the data access

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought, in all honestly I would use 1 or 2 apps and just use the iphone as a normal phone but I am never off it - The maps are amazing ( we were in town the other day and I needed a photographic shop - tapped it in and plop 5 pins dropped into the map and told me how to walk there), the internet connectivity through 3G is much faster than when I was on dialup and I think equates to the very first days of broadband - we were driving to an animal place the other day and Lisa said 'ooh I hope its open as its before easter' So I open up their website and get the opening details - its one of those gadgets that you can't see the point of before you have one and then when you get one you can't see how you did without it.

I utterly love my Iphone

It has some great astronomy apps as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Story of me buying the iphone

Our company manages email for people basically. We get people and businesses away from awful @hotmail.com,yahoo etc addresses and onto their own proper names john@smith.com etc. So when new email capable phones come out, we have to make sure we work with them.

Now I have hundreds of phones, I hoard them and whenever a new one came out, I was first in line. I was known for having a different phone every week (sometimes more than one a week how's that for sad.

Anyway! fast forward to the iphone announcement. We all watched it and everyone was all enthusiastic apart from me. I liked a proper keyboard and couldnt ever imagine a phone with no MMS, no keyboard and it looked a bit big too!

I ended up at the trafford centre to buy one for work for us to test in a HUGE queue of people on the first night of sale. SIGH. Again, they were all so excited and I just wasn't, at all.

Got the thing home that evening and started trying to make sure all our email services worked with it and I think it was about 4am before I realised the time! I was completely sold on it.

Instead of one, or more, new phones a week, I've used an iphone and only an iphone, from the night it came out in the UK till today.

It's an absolutely superb device

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Chris and Keith have got it one I remember saying to Keith that I didn't like the iPod touch.. I thought the functions where good but it just wasn't practical. I went to NYC and I was going to buy myself a time-capsule..... until I noticed the iPod touch! Bought it as a 'carpe-diem' thing and fell in love!!! Can't wait to get my hands on the iPhone
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast