Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ms, miss, mrs, firstname surname??

Post Thanks / Like
    This was a hot topic of discussion well argument in the office today.

The basic question was why should a woman have her marrital status divulged every time she fills in a form where a man doesnt? So a woman has to say if she's a miss or a mrs whereas a man is just mr.

The hospital situation was raised where a woman may have to sign a form saying that she's not a mrs because same sex marriages arent allowed but she may have a civil partner who is next of kin. Why should she have to give all that information when a man would just sign mr

some people suggested using ms. but no one really likes that either

What do you think? Should we give up on mr/mrs/miss and just use firstname/surname? or should every one be either ms or mr

Post Thanks / Like
    i like using just ms.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just think that 'master' has died out, so there is no non-married name for a male?

I don't see it as a sign of having to 'divulge' the information, but I think it'd be disrespectful to refer to someone as 'Miss' when they are married, or to refer to them as 'Mrs' and assume they are married...
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    i see your point, i'm quite a traditionist in that i took my husbands name and even 'obeyed' in my marriage vows In other ways i am very determined with womens rights etc but it doesn't mean that i am uncomfortable with being a wife, maybe it's because we have a true partnership and i don't ever feel that Jon is in charge ( i do let him think that sometimes though ).

very interesting point though, it is kind of sexist if you think about it but then i think we can go too far thinking about things too much and analysing everything.

I think whatever you want to call yourself is fine and is a personal decision and if some people want to judge you by what you do call yourself then leave them to it in their shallow little lives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm a Ms person (that's a surprise, eh) but I honestly believe the John Doe and Jane Who is the way to go. That works for me though, and would not work for everyone.

Master in this country usually refers to a young boy, Master Seth Nicholas and not an unmarried man. Mr. does not denote married in this country.

If marrying couples choose to share one name, then that's their choice. Doesn't rest on gender, eh?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    1. My children have MY maiden name.
    2. Long ago when I was married i was hyphenated. I still am hyphenated. I have been divorced almost 6 years. I was married to him I deserve to keep his name.
    3. When talking with the minister before we were married I made sure that I would NOT be saying OBEY. I am my own person and I do NOT have to obey ANYONE...except my grandmother...
    4. Single, married or divorced I have ALWAYS gone by Ms.
    I think Ms. makes a statement. I will not be held down by tradition because it is tradition. I have made my own way thru this world and no one will tell me how I should be addressed.

I am now going to go and burn my bra.....I so would have loved the 60s...

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not going to burn my bra because I would trip over if I did that :( Before I got married this second time I used to say on forms Ms or if I was asked my status I would always say Happily Divorced, that always raised a chuckle... but I was!

Post Thanks / Like
    When talking with the minister before we were married I made sure that I would NOT be saying OBEY.
    I asked for the same thing and was told no. So, I then said that if I had to promise to obey then so did Bob. The word obey was taken out of the ceremony

Post Thanks / Like
    Amen sister...

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    If I HAVE to use one, it's MS. Otherwise my marital status is no one's business.
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast