Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ms, miss, mrs, firstname surname??

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooh Grandma's living over the brush!

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it called that anyways?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola DeVille, post: 118488
    Ooh Grandma's living over the brush!
    ?????
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah it's a saying we have over here... if you're not married but living with someone. Not saying you are, was just pulling your leg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm....very interesting!

I favour firstname/lastname in introductions, except with young children. Then it's Ms./Mr. (Mrs. if person is well known to me and I know that is her preference) lastname. Each individual can choose to invite a child to call her/him by a first name, if that is preferred.

In business, I always use firstname/lastname. It provides a more equal footing. There are a few exceptions--perhaps the octogenarian founder of a company who still is actively involved in the daily operations. That deserves a bit of extra respect! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    There was never any question of me not taking on Gavin's name and becomming Mrs.

This sort of thing does amuse me though, I mean why marry in the first place then deny all legal connection to them?

It doesn't bother me one jot that men do not have to indicate thier marital status on a form and I do feel getting frustrated over something like this is a push too far for equal rights, women got what they (and I) wanted and to continue the 'fight' over the wording on a form is time that could be spent so much more productively elsewhere and a fight that really no-one else is watching you win or lose.

Did I promise to 'Obey' Gavin? No idea, we just wanted to be married, the formalitis were exactly that, I am 99% sure the words for each of us were the same though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola DeVille, post: 118492
    Ah it's a saying we have over here... if you're not married but living with someone. Not saying you are, was just pulling your leg.
    LOL Let go of my leg!!! We'd just say that they were "shacking up"!!!

We're married. 14 years this coming Sept! And, yes, I took his last name and use it. It is far superior to what it was before we got married. But I do have a first name of my own and would never introduce myself as Mrs John USCWest. And I'd never sign my name that way. Personal preference. I have nothing against those who do. It just isn't for me.
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess after working in the DOC I much prefer Ms, as I stated in my prior post.

I actually love my last name and wouldn't want to give it up...even if a man could persuade me to make the decision of marriage, which I don't believe in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always used Ms. That is what fits me best.

I did NOT take DH's last name when we married. I am my own person. I have my own name. I happen to like my name. I did not want to change it. It had nothing to do with any feelings or respect for him. In fact, he wanted to take my last name. That was impossible without a court decree. That was in 2000 The people at social security even asked him WHY he would want to do that. As if it was any of their business.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well until I got remarried I kept my old married name because it used to severely pee off the new Mrs XYZ... she used to whine (and I think it's the whining part that did it for me... smirks) I am Mrs XYZ not her.... why is she still using that name. Well My dear because I can and cos it ticks you off no end... lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast