Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Job-hunting

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been looking for a part-time job for ages and I have had no success! No-where seems to be taking on and it is soo frustrating!!

I have had experience, I have good grades, and I still cannot find a job. It is soo annoying as I want to start saving for a car but it's just not possible with no income.

I have applied to a few places and only 1 of them actually has a current position.

Damn recession! It's really REALLY annoying
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    You should go for a graphics design job mate

or maybe you could ask Keith to pay you for your modding duties ;)

I'm afraid I know so many people who are snaffling up all the part time jobs to pay their mortgages during the recession - the chap who delivers the papers round our road is in his 50's

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 118623
    You should go for a graphics design job mate
    Believe me... if I thought I was good enough I would have left college and started doing free-lance work.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Believe me... your work is very very impressive

Don't leave college though - not because its not good work its really is but leaving is not a great idea for all sorts of reasons.

College girls being one

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your frustration josh. I am also looking for a position (part-time).

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh... young Skywalker!

Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 118629
    good enough
    Good enough... you are! Confident... you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 118629
    left college
    Left college... do not!

Tom (... if the force be so strong in me, why is it complete sentences I can't make?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep! Recession is affecting everyone right now. Locally, every position has at least 200 applicants--sometimes more!

When I started university, it was impossible to find a part-time job. A bit like being in the entertainment industry these days--you can't get a job without joining the union and having an agent, but you can't get a job or hire an agent without joining the union! In other words, they wouldn't hire anyone without 10 years experience, but no one would hire so you could gain experience!

Chris has a good idea with freelance graphics or any other specialties you may have tucked away. You would be working from home, so your overhead would be low. You could charge a fair price for your services and come in under established competition.

Make a portfolio of sample work and develop a brief presentation. Research local businesses to get an idea of what their needs might be, call and try to schedule appointments. That's the part I really dislike--I'm horrible at it! Sometimes it's easier to go in during slower times of the day and chat a bit--perhaps without the portfolio, then mention you would love to do... You get the idea!

That's how I started designing and fabricating jewelry. Needed money, people liked what they saw, I provided a good product at a good price--and I had a good career for a number of years! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 118635
    Believe me... your work is very very impressive
    Thank-you :) Seriously, compared to the stuff I see regularly... mine may aswell be made in paint!
    Don't leave college though - not because its not good work its really is but leaving is not a great idea for all sorts of reasons.

College girls being one
    The only way I'd leave college is if I got an graphics apprenticeship, or similar, which they don't do :(

College girls like the non-college lads who have cars... why else would I be so keen to drive?!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a shame you don't live locally to me Josh. I know of 3 places crying out for staff at the moment. One is an independent coffee shop and 2 are at 2 local Starbucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 118637
    Ahhh... young Skywalker!

Good enough... you are! Confident... you are not!

Left college... do not!

Tom (... if the force be so strong in me, why is it complete sentences I can't make?)
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast