Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipping guidelines in the USA

Post Thanks / Like
    From Tip20

Tipping Standards - United States
    Note: There are no hard and fast rules about tipping, nor are there laws requiring tipping in the United States. The list below are generally accepted guidelines.

Waiters/Waitresses: 15% - 20% for average - good service
    More for exceptional service.
    Headwaiter/captain: May get a cut of table server's tip; so tip your server extra to reward captain, or tip captain separately.
    Bartenders: $1 - $2 a round -or- 15% to 20% of the tab, with a minimum of 50 cents per soft drink, $1 per alcoholic drink
    Cocktail Waitresses: $1 - $2 per drink
    Sommelier or wine steward: 15% of cost of the bottle
    Buffet Servers: At least $1 per head if you get your own beverages. If you order beverages (or more) from the server, then you should tip 10-20% of the bill based on service quality.
    Coatroom attendant: $1 per coat
    Room Service: 15% - 20%
    Valet Attendant: $2 - $5 average for each trip to the car, more may be appropriate given conditions. (Like weather or location)
    Pool Attendant: $1 - $2 for each service (providing towels or lounge chairs)
    Showroom Maitre d': $1 - $2 for preassigned seats
    For unassigned seating, you may tip according to where you want to sit (usually a tip over $50 will guarantee your seat)
    Washroom attendant: 50 cents to $1
    Taxi driver: Varies depending on locality. Assume 15% will be enough; an extra $1 to $2 for help with bags.
    Food delivery person: The Greater of 10% of the bill or $2.00. Should tip 15%-20% for a difficult delivery.
    Grocery loader: Check with store policy if tips are accepted. If so, $1 for bringing bags to car; $1.50 to $3 if you have more than 3 bags.
    Barber: 15% to 20%, minimum $1, for a haircut. For other services (shampoo, shave or manicure) tip $1 to $2 to service provider.
    Hairdresser: 15% to 20%. (It is acceptable to tip owner, unless he or she says otherwise.)
    Shampoo person: $2
    Manicurist: 15%
    Spa service: 15% to 20%. If service is provided by owner, no tip.
    Coffee/food retailers w/ tip jars: Tip is optional.
    Handyman: Tip is optional.
    Gas attendant: Tip is optional.
    Skycap at airport: $1 per bag if you check-in curbside; $2 per bag if skycap takes bags to check-in counter.
    Hotel doorman: $1 per bag for help with luggage; $1 per person for hailing a cab
    Hotel bellhop: $1 per bag for bringing luggage to your room (but a $2 minimum if you have just one bag)
    Hotel housekeeper: $2 to $5 per night
    Hotel concierge: $5 for getting you tickets or reservations ($10-plus if they're hard to get). No tip required when you ask for directions.
    Cruise: Varies. Ask cruise line about customary gratuities.
    Movers: Tip is optional.
    Tattoo/Body Piercing: 20%. More for custom or difficult work. Tattoo touch-ups min. $10, Jewelry insertions min. $5.00
    The general rule is that you do not need to tip on tax. It has been our experience however, that most people just look at the bottom line (tax included) and just tip on that.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, who knew it was so complicated. I actually tend to just do the 20%, all around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Johnie!!!!

Im printing this!!

I dont think Ill use the tattoo one though... hahahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    I refuse to tip some of those positions.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 121710
    I refuse to tip some of those positions.
    Me too.

And according to this I am not tipping nearly enough at the salon.

Post Thanks / Like
    My stylist does everything (wash, color, cut, style, etc.) so she's the only one I tip.

I've had pedicures and do tip there too.

I've never tipped a sommelier in my life and don't intend to start now. Same with pool attendent. Puhleeze!

If the restaurant requires that the server share the tip I leave, that is the server's issue, not mine. I do prefer to know the house policy though, as servers often have to share their tips with the bartenders! If that is the case, and I order from the bar, pre or post dinner... well, you get the idea.

I am just so over tipping/begging in this country that I could really rant on about it for hours.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't tip some of these things either. My stylist IS my shampoo person as well!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, my stylist does everything as well, which I definitely prefer.

I guess I tipped the right amount at the tattoo parlor. I figured, he did such a great job, that I would tip nicely. Not too mention, I knew I was going back.

Post Thanks / Like
    so.. from this list

who WOULDNT you tip?

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I wouldn't tip the following:

sommelier/wine steward
    pool attendant
    showroom maitrede
    washroom attendant (this one really annoys me too....I don't like that woman sitting there while I am trying to go to the bathroom!)
    housekeeping
    I will NEVER tip at a fast food/coffee shop place

I tip the person who cuts my hair (she does everything)
    I also tip the person who does mani/pedis esp cause I would never ever want to touch someone else's feet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast