Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School dinners and retro sweets?

Post Thanks / Like
    We were talking about old sweets that used to be around but are hard to find now like spangles and we got talking about what we used to like or hate in school dinners.

I always liked spangles and sherbet dips they've just started selling beef monster munch in the old shapes at our local shop too.

For school dinners I used to like sponge pudding with this green mint sauce all over it

what did you like or hate and do you have any old sweets or lollies you wish you could still get?

Post Thanks / Like
    You will love this site... School Dinners by Becky Thorn...... Google ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    I loved school dinners :D Everyone liked me as they could palm off their cabbage and semolina to me

The one thing I hated was curried mince with sultanas in it

All the puddings were fab! Butterscotch Tart, semolina, sponge and custard and loved the pink custard especially the skin :D

I'm lucky now that I work in a school kitchen I get to eat school dinners everyday now although they aren't quite the same now, too healthy

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't much like our school lunches. :( I remember really hating the one with the two tiny hot dogs with cheese melted over them.

Sweets? Now that's another story. :D I loved these lemon drops my Grandfather used to have. They were SO sour! You can get lemon drops still today, but they are not the kind he used to have.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm, lumpy custard and lumpy mash spotted dick and the like were yummy though.

Spam fritters - did we have those, i can't remember now?

gosh, i'm trying to think of the sweeties - there were these sort of honeycomb things covered in chocolate that i loved. You could get mint which was green or plain which was white if i remember correctly.

Border eggs, like creme eggs but with a tartan wrapper and chocolate fondant inside - yum.

Lord Toffo (i think) ice cream lollies.

spangles and sherbert dips as you say, what else? my brain doesn't work!

Post Thanks / Like
    ewww i just remembered - sago pudding.....ick ick ick

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a fan of school lunches when I was young, either. Too much mystery food and very little good veggies and fruit! What little veggies/fruit they served was canned--and I'm still not a fan of those!

Hmmm...In high school they had really good brownies! When I was in school through fifth period and actually had a lunch break (I usually took three classes daily and was gone before lunch--already completed the curriculum and that was the minimum to remain an active student so the school could receive funding), I usually carried my lunch but purchased a brownie once a week! :D My friends thought I was crazy--they ate so many sweets my teeth hurt!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaw, post: 121894
    I loved school dinners :D Everyone liked me as they could palm off their cabbage and semolina to me

The one thing I hated was curried mince with sultanas in it

All the puddings were fab! Butterscotch Tart, semolina, sponge and custard and loved the pink custard especially the skin :D

I'm lucky now that I work in a school kitchen I get to eat school dinners everyday now although they aren't quite the same now, too healthy
    Ooh I loved that curried mince with sultanas... I make that at home now.... takes me right back it does.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooh and I LOVED those Lord Toffo ice lollies.... no wonder I'm round :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Spam fritters
    Shepherds pie with a really crispy crust
    Meat pie

Rhubarb crumble
    Rice pudding with a splodge of red stuff
    Chocklit sponge

Our school kitchen did wicked dinners - until they switched from a set meal fee to pay for each item seperately - then it was all pizza and chips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast