Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving up diet soda...

Post Thanks / Like
    I know my sweet One, but honest Helly, she says it's perfectly fine.

HFCS is one of the leading causes of diabetes (epidemic proportions now, seriously) outbreaks in this country. Read labels here and the stinking stuff is everywhere. I absolutely hate our laws that allow for the type of advertizing that is currently going on. There are commercials that DEFEND and push the use of that stuff! Total irresponsibility. Of course anyone who "learns" from commercials is a bit mistaken, but there is strong statistical evidence that the info that we are bombarded with via the television (and other forms of continuous media) DOES change our concept of things.

Becca, your predicament is so valid. We need to be teaching our children to eat properly, train their taste buds (and brains!) to want the fresh, clean, natural flavors and not the processed nasty stuff. I completely understand the need to avoid waste. I think we all do (is it that lingering effect of the Depression babies??? ) but we need to weight the short term immediate waste (say tossing some sodas ) against the long term cost of health care for the issues the consumption of the unhealthy product may produce.

Jaysus, I must have woken up cock-eyed this morning eh? Sorry folks, didn't mean to natter on forever. (I'm just a tiny bit passionate about the topic).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah Tink you can "natter" all you want.

I couldn't agree more about teaching children to eat better. I know that I grew up in a house hold where I major food group was the potato chip. In fact, my parents have a corner on their counter that always hold several bags of chips. That's just the way it is.

Yes, I know that life is short, that we should live some and enjoy life. But with the stuff that we ingest we'll be lucky to live to a ripe old age. And hey, if I'm going to bite the big one, then I would rather that be from living life and not due to the fact that I ate myself to death.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the key. We have to retrain ourselves and teach our children that enjoyment of eating CAN be healthy! (This coming from someone who will anything as long as it's oil based! ). In my childhood home it was the "clean your plate" thing. You just did. Not finishing everything was unheard of. And Mama expressed her love through food, so go ahead and imagine how full those plates were! At least Da would pipe up from time to time and comment and she's be a little less heavy with the portions.

We hear the "I ate that all my life," or "I've always cooked it that way" without regard for our changing world. The ground is no longer the pristine earth it once was, the water no longer pure, the items we purchase at the grocery are no longer the wholesome products they once were.

Tough stuff, but changing one aspect at a time, one day at a time seems to work best for me.

Now. If I could just STAY AWAY from the dark chocolate with salt! (Tain't nobuddy perfekt)!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm drinking water. It's not hot and doesn't taste of coffee.

Post Thanks / Like
    My mother use to cook for an army....the key here is that there were only 3 of us. That's a lot of food.

No need to aim for perfection, just aim for better. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    It helps to have your teeth cleaned at the dentists.... it's so painful you don't wanna be getting any coffee or tea stains on them ever again.... yep guess where I just been :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 122767
    I'm drinking water. It's not hot and doesn't taste of coffee.
    I so feel ya...am drinking pink lemonade crystal light and it doesn't have the taste of my beloved soda.

Post Thanks / Like
    and as they say... I'm in shape.................. round is a shape :(

Post Thanks / Like
    :D Yepper, Helly! It is!

Foreverducky, is there a sparkling water that you like? Maybe you could add one of those packets to that and have the approximation of a soda, just until you get over the initial phase of change?

Post Thanks / Like
    When one drinks water. This needing to go to the toilet every 5 minutes - does that pass?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast