Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School holidays part 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Today we started with a dragon hunt. OK I'll elaborate. In the last week of term I wandered into the school library and found a teaching assistant telling her class a story about a dragon. In the staff room I asked her about it and she told me of the legend of the Lyminster Knucker.

Lyminster has a dragon legend. The dragon was known as the Knucker and inhabited a supposedly bottomless pool known as the Knucker Hole and is situated just to the north of Lyminster.

The dragon was terrorizing the area and had eaten all the maidens in the area, leaving only the King of Sussexís daughter. The King offered his daughterís hand in marriage to anyone who could deliver her from the dragonís jaws. A local lad named Jim Puttock fed the dragon an indigestible pudding, then killed it whilst it was indisposed with a bout of bellyache! He got some of the dragonís blood on his hand and, after wiping his mouth after a celebratory pint of beer, Puttock also died.

The knucker hole still exists and is now a pond on a trout farm. The pond never freezes, no matter how cold it gets. Legend has it that the water is warmed by dragons breath.

Anyway, there's a cache there too so double the reason to go.

The dragon hunt starts at this lovely church where we spent 10 minutes wandering through collecting clues. The dragon slayers grave is inside the church but I never feel comfortable taking photos inside religious buildings so here's an outside one instead.

We've collected our clues so it's off to find the dragon.

And here is the knucker hole. Can you see any signs of dragons? Steven says if you look hard enough just over there you can see some dragon spikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow!!

what an AMAZING way to make kids imagination simply flourish!!

ragon spikes... over WHERE exactly??? hahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    Any other pics from the outside of the hole?

Awesome day - you were right the rain blew away :D

Post Thanks / Like
    The hole is all fenced off now as it's on private land. The closest you can get is to peer through the gate. It was still a great adventure though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn= the most awesome Mum in the world!!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously.... if I was Steven I would be so pleased with all those trips you take him on!!! I would have loved stuff like that when I was his age. Not much like that to do around here.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think he is looking at the light brown reedbeds at the back - they look like they are poking out of the water like Nessie

Post Thanks / Like
    Aw... cool day out! Did you find the cache?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! That is so cool. I'm with Josh. I would have loved to have gone on trips like these as a kid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast