Thread: March Madness - The FOOD - Kona Cafe (with special appearances by: the Tambu Lounge and Kona Island

Post Thanks / Like
    We had some especially enjoyable eating experiences this trip. Traveling sans the children allowed us an opportunity try a few restaurants we'd given a miss to in the past, not knowing if those places would be lost on the immature pallets of the children.

Sunday evening we dined at the Kona Cafe. Located in the Polynesian Resort, this "best kept secret" has become one of my favorite places to dine. My new found love of sushi (which can be ordered from the adjoining Kona Island Sushi Bar) coupled with the cafe's casual yet lively atmosphere made for a particularly enjoyable evening this trip.

We started with drinks in the Tambu Lounge...Long Island Ice Tea's all around (or three rounds :wink: )...I love sitting in the lounge looking out the window at the flora and fauna on the grounds of the Poly. So very peaceful.

After about half and hour our pager vibrated to let us know our table was ready...we had a lovely server who was quite attentive and knowledgeable.

What we ate:

Delicious sweet bread w/ butter

Volcano Roll - Spicy Tuna, Shrimp Salad, Tempura Crunch

Kona Crab Cake Roll - Fresh Jumbo Lump Crab Cake, Avocado and and Asian Tartar Sauce

California Luau Roll - Fresh Jumbo Lump Crab, Pineapple and Avocado

Lump Crab Cakes - Served with Asian tartar sauce and pineapple relish.

Coconut Almond Chicken - Sauteed chicken breast served with Asian greens tossed with honey lime dressing, golden pineapple, strawberries, and toasted almonds.

Each and every item we had was SUPERB. Jon had the coconut Almond Chicken, and while he enjoyed it very much, he commented that the accompanying salad was one of the best he'd ever had.

It was a lovely, relaxing dinner. Afterwards, we rode the monorail over to the Magic Kingdom which was hosting Extra Magic Hours. We rode several rides including It's a Small World, Mickey's Philharmagic and The Haunted Mansion. Our long day was quickly catching up with us, and though we had grand plans to stay until 2:00am, by 11:00pm we were fading fast...

So with one final glance...

...we made our way back to our rooms at the All Star Sports.

Post Thanks / Like
    fantastic pic of castle!

i didn't know they did sushi at the Poly, is this new? i do love it, must try kona cafe again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the photo of the chicken - that is the dish I had earmarked for August and now it is a definite, looks delicious

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    While it all looks fantastic...I don't do sushi. But, wow, lookin' that could I would have seconds on that.

Castle looks lovely!

Post Thanks / Like
    The sushi counter is somewhat new. We noticed it during our Sept trip.

The California luau roll was lovely.

Post Thanks / Like
    ooh, i felt like i was right there relaxing with you.....*sigh*

Post Thanks / Like
    Food looks lovely & the castle pic is gorgeous x

Post Thanks / Like
    Awww, Thank you Helen you're too kind!