Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Travellers checks

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been reading else were that travellers cheques are not widely accepted anymore, does anyone know if this is true.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    2,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I know, they are still accepted nearly everywhere.

    The issuers prefer that you purchase a card--they're more profitable for them. They charge to issue them, charge for you to use them and charge even more if the balance exceeds a predetermined period.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    13,365
    Post Thanks / Like
    We had no problems anywhere we went at the beginning of the year Michelle.

  4. #4
    Senior Member mumof2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    9,023
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have no idea on your question Michelle but it'd feel kind of weird going to Florida without travellers cheques, remembering to get them has always been a part of the trip!




  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taja, post: 122918
    As far as I know, they are still accepted nearly everywhere.

    The issuers prefer that you purchase a card--they're more profitable for them. They charge to issue them, charge for you to use them and charge even more if the balance exceeds a predetermined period.
    This is my feelings on them as well. Thanks all. Travellers checks for me as usual then I agree mumof2 i would feel weird with out the as well.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire U.K.
    Posts
    5,833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oddly enough I always used to take travellers cheques with us but nowadays I tend to take a small amount of cash [say $500 or so] and then use my cc if ever I need cash from an ATM or to pay for any purchases or meals.
    It`s one less hassle to think about before I leave the UK!





  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 123274
    Oddly enough I always used to take travellers cheques with us but nowadays I tend to take a small amount of cash [say $500 or so] and then use my cc if ever I need cash from an ATM or to pay for any purchases or meals.
    It`s one less hassle to think about before I leave the UK!
    i tend to do the same, although we will probably take $1000 split between us for insurance purposes- our CC through sainsburys has always had exellent exchange rates and we withdraw cash at Bank of America because they have a good rate with Barclays.















  8. #8
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 123274
    Oddly enough I always used to take travellers cheques with us but nowadays I tend to take a small amount of cash [say $500 or so] and then use my cc if ever I need cash from an ATM or to pay for any purchases or meals.
    It`s one less hassle to think about before I leave the UK!
    Yep this is exactly what we do, making sure to use a credit rather than a debit card in case of fraud
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com









  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 123291
    Yep this is exactly what we do, making sure to use a credit rather than a debit card in case of fraud
    tbh Keith i tend to use CC for everything apart from withdrawing cash now for this very reason - upside is you can collect points/rewards of your choice















  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    2,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you plan to use a CC, be sure to check exchange rates/fees before you leave for WDW. The US credit card companies are becoming quite nasty about fees and more fees lately. As in, if they can find a way to charge a fee, they do!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •