Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question Regarding EPCOT's UK...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 123302
    I guess my question is...wouldn't they just look through another pane if they wanted to be nosy?
    Yes, I wondering too.

Post Thanks / Like
    < disclaimer > very much NOT a glass expert but I remember my parents taking me to a glass blowing factory when I was young and they were talking about this very thing.

My understanding is that it was less about actual privacy and more about the process involved in making the glass, the predominant early hand made processes being cylinder and crown.

Cylinder was where they blew out a bottle shaped section of glass then cut off the ends and unrolled the cylinder to produce a flat pane.

Crown glass involved a sort of splodge as I remember it, think circular chunk of molten glass which they used a sort of stick in the centre and twirled it round until it became far larger and thinner. The GOOD expensive panes were cut from the edges and were clear and as you'd expect, the centre, called the bullseye, which was of course distorted and rather more opaque/thick, was sold cheaply for less obvious, important window spaces.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Older buildings also had false windows too. A window was painted on the wall to give the impression that it was there but really it was just a wall with a painting on it. This was because many years ago building had to pay a window tax based on how many panes of glass they had.

The Blue Anchor pub in Staines where I used to enjoy the odd tipple is a great example of this - the upper floor has wooden facade windows with beautifully painted blue drapes and everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep! Pretty much what Keith said. No glass expert here, either, but I'm digging in the depths of memory from architecture classes a gazillion years ago.

If I remember correctly, glass panes were made by a hand process and it was difficult to control the clarity. Ripples and bubbles were common--and glass was available only to the very wealthy. That's why window panes were very small at one time--they couldn't control the glass to make larger pieces. You'll see original or reproduction ripple glass in older preserved US homes and sometimes find an old mirror with the original ripple glass.

As techniques evolved, clearer glass became possible, usually around the edges, as Keith said. The clear glass commanded premium prices, with the distorted glass a bit cheaper. Still primarily for the wealthy or upper middle-class. Automation made glass reasonably affordable for nearly everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 123320
    The Blue Anchor pub in Staines where I used to enjoy the odd tipple is a great example of this - the upper floor has wooden facade windows with beautifully painted blue drapes and everything.
    OOOO I've been there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 123320
    Older buildings also had false windows too. A window was painted on the wall to give the impression that it was there but really it was just a wall with a painting on it. This was because many years ago building had to pay a window tax based on how many panes of glass they had.

There used to be a door tax in the US! Most buildings had only one entrance/exit for that reason. And perhaps one or two interior doors, if the owners could afford it. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    There used to be a tax on floor space overe here too. That's why in a lot of old buildings the upper floors are bigger than the ground floor and overhang them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 123324
    OOOO I've been there!
    Did you happen to notice a crowd of unruly postal staff in the corner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 123328
    Did you happen to notice a crowd of unruly postal staff in the corner.
    Well I was depressed at being in Staines, so I was pretty drunk

Post Thanks / Like
    Most people in Staines were like that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast