Thread: Memory cards

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to get a bigger SD card for my Canon Powershot S3. Right now I only have a 1 GB (two of those though). When looking online I noticed SD and SDHC, what's the difference?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 123127
    I would like to get a bigger SD card for my Canon Powershot S3. Right now I only have a 1 GB (two of those though). When looking online I noticed SD and SDHC, what's the difference?
    An SDHC card is a high speed card.

Post Thanks / Like
    oh okay, so basically the same then.

Post Thanks / Like
    erm....yes....but one is supposedly faster than the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    faster at doing what? I mean I would be doing still photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm sorta ish maybe

SDHC stands for Secure Digital High Capacity. The idea was to get beyond the limitation of 4GB for an SD card not really to be faster (although they usually are because they're newer cards based on newer technology)

So basically once you get above 4GB, you'll only see SDHC

Devices must support SDHC format to be able to use SDHC cards (obviously) so it's important before buying to make sure you device supports SDHC (all devices that support SDHC are backward compatible in that they'll support SD as well)

Sometimes a device will only need a software (firmware) upgrade to be able to support SDHC, other times they just wont.

In terms of what's faster if you get a faster card, writing the photos to the card and reading them back into the computer later. This means that you can sometimes notice that you can take a second photo without waiting so long for the first to be written to the card. It all depends on how your camera works.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay.

I did go on the website of the brand I was looking at and checked out compatibility. My Canon, I believe with do up to 8gb SDHC cards. I found a 4 and decided to go with that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's amazing that 4 gb SD cards are less expensive than the last 1 gb I purchased two or three years ago!

I'll have to check if my camera is compatible with SDHC cards. Have a feeling it isn't--they didn't exist (to my knowledge) when I bought my last camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 4gb card off ebay... it was unbelivably cheap, something like 2.... it writes almost instantly. I don't trust it incase my photos dissapear, but it has proved reliable and never had a problem with it. Thought it would be good to mention as if you are going to Disney or on holiday, buying 2 of those makes for good back-up
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)