Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More 'torttraits'

Post Thanks / Like
    they're fabulous photos Josh, the close ups are amazing. i agree with Lisa, they look so wise.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it my imagination or is Tommy actually posing? I think he is!

You know I love your babies, Josh. They are magnificent creatures. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 123532
    Thank you :D I do like close-up pics the best. I find backgrounds distracting
    and you've got good depth of field on them, i like the composition of the first one particularly too

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 123547
    Is it my imagination or is Tommy actually posing? I think he is!

You know I love your babies, Josh. They are magnificent creatures. Thank you for sharing them with us.
    I secretly think he is posing too I have 4-5 shots of him all taken at different times where he is 'striking' the same pose

Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 123576
    and you've got good depth of field on them, i like the composition of the first one particularly too
    Thank you :D I entered one of Tommy into a reptile photography competition on a forum I go on- fingers crossed!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    photos, Josh...the colors are brilliant! Well done

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 123726
    photos, Josh...the colors are brilliant! Well done
    thank you :D I love the colour of the grass! I just wish I could have got some sky in the background too
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh! Meant to ask, did you put the little tort on the back of the big one, or did it crawl there by itself?

Also, what is the purpose of the heavy scales on a tort's legs?

If you look quickly at the first photo of Yanni, the shadowing at the neck area makes it look like he's sticking out his tongue! I said you have to look quickly. :dozey:

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 123764
    Oh! Meant to ask, did you put the little tort on the back of the big one, or did it crawl there by itself?

Also, what is the purpose of the heavy scales on a tort's legs?

If you look quickly at the first photo of Yanni, the shadowing at the neck area makes it look like he's sticking out his tongue! I said you have to look quickly. :dozey:
    I put him there I needed a pic for my tort-site to display the size difference, people often buy them thinking that you can just keep them in tiny enclosures all their lives.... 8 years down the line they have a 2 kilo tortoise stomping about in a tiny guinea pig cage

The heavy scales are for protection predation is a very big threat to them in the wild and they do not fully go into their shells and shut it like some people think so. They do retract but not to the extent they just look like a lone-shell They also use them for ripping and tearing their food- I will have to video it to explain it but they put their front paw on the food, and then "pull" on it with their mouth (which contains boney jaws rather than teeth)

I see what you mean about Yanni's tounge!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    So it is a paw then on a tortoise, and not a foot? Never knew that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 123870
    So it is a paw then on a tortoise, and not a foot? Never knew that!
    I think it is a paw Not sure if there is a proper scientific name but I call it a paw rather than a foot. I call the front ones paws and the back ones feet.

I think their back legs look like elephant's legs!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12