Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So which one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Im confused which one did you get in the end ? I'm looking too I've heard that the Nikons have a much better flash system but may be more expensive

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations FD! Wonderful deal!

Now, a recommendation and a caution.

First the recommendation. If you're looking for a book beyond the rather obtuse users manual that Nikon supplies, let me heartily recommend Thom Hogan's book. Does a far better job of explaining all the bells and whistles than the standard owners manual does.

Second, a caution. Whenever you change lens on a DSLR, try to keep the lens opening on the body pointed down while you do it. And do it as quickly as you possibly can. This will help mitigate the possibility of dust, dirt or other foreign matter getting into the camera and onto the sensor. If the sensor gets dirty or scratched, it's an expensive and major undertaking to get it fixed. Has to go back to the manufacturer to do it. This is true for all brands. Just something to be aware of with a DSLR.

Tom (... still mostly harmless)

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the Nikon D40 with 2 lenses. One lens is the standard and the extra lens was 55-200mm lens. :D

What I have found is that with some of the Nikon cameras you have to buy the lens with auto focus in the lens as the camera does not have motor inside of it. So when it comes to the lens you have purchase AF-S and AF-I lens (if you want autofocus). :D

I got such a deal and like I said I got spooked about the error 99 thing. I know it doesn't happen to everyone, but I didn't want to take the chance. The problem of heuristics, huh. ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom! I ended up purchasing this book: Nikon D40/D40x Digital Field Guide. I figured that I would need more than just the manual. And thank you for telling me to point the camera down, I definitely will now that I have been informed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234