Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: St Petes or Clearwater

Post Thanks / Like
    What has more to do. We want to visit but will not be spending the day on the beach as no good with Beth. We would like to eat in a beach shack restraunt and take in the pier and some shopping.
    Do you have to drive through Tampa to get to them. Is driving in Tampa bad. Read some were that it was not good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, driving in Tampa is no fun! I lived in the Tampa Bay area for 2 years. I spent most of that time in traffic.

And since I went to school there I spent more time studying than visiting and I found a beach that was quiet so I avoided both St Pete and Clearwater. My place was Honeymoon Island. It was quiet and natural, but since you are not wanting to lay out in the sand, it wouldn't be the place likely for you guys.

I heard there are plenty of things to do at the Clearwater beach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's some photos from Honeymoon Island. It's a park reserve to it's very natural.
    [ATTACH]2636.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2637.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2638.vB[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my gosh thats beautiful. Thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like
    And the water really is that pretty.

Oh, and I know lots of folks that return all the time to Clearwater beach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks hun

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on what you want to do.

I grew up in St. Petersburg and used most of my misspent youth traveling up and down the beach between St. Petersburg and Clearwater. There are numerous seafood places all up and down the beach between St. Pete and Clearwater. Take your pick. There were a couple of seafood places in the area known as John's Pass that used to be quite good. Also, while it's not directly on the beach, there's a place in South Pasadena (between St. Pete itself and St.Pete beach) called "Ted Peter's Smoked Fish" that's wonderful.

If you want to go to the Pier, that's on the Tampa Bay side of the peninsula. The beaches are on the other side. However, it's not a terribly long drive from the bay to the beach. The St. Pete Museum of History is down by the pier and has some interesting exhibits from "Old" St. Pete (most of which I remember).

Out on the beaches side, there's an area called Fort Desoto State Park that's home to an old fort that was originally constructed in 1898 during the Spanish-American war.

Taking the causeway from Fort Desoto through Tiera Verde out to the gulf beaches (a 10 minute ride) drops you on Gulf Boulevard at what I think, is one of the most beautiful hotels that I've ever seen. The Don Cesar. Originally opened in 1928, it has played host to the rich and famous over the years like F. Scott Fitzgerald, Lou Gehrig, and of course, Al Capone. Well worth seeing in my opinion. Even more enjoyable to stay there.

Driving in Tampa can be a challenge at rush hour, but if you're just passing through at other times during the day on I-4 and then onto I-275 it's not too bad. Just be careful of what's know as "malfunction junction". That's the intersection of I-4 and I-275 in downtown Tampa.

Hope this helps!

Tom (... sigh... now I'm wishing I still lived there...)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd have to say head for the St. Pete's pier. There is a Columbia House restaurant there (same as the one in Celebration) and a couple of other restaurants right on the pier. It will be easy to manuever with Beth's chair, and the walk along the pier to the shops and restaurants won't be terribly difficult either. There is ample parking.

I can't honestly remember what the public restrooms are like, but the pier shops area does have an elevator for the upper floor.

I bought the nicest pair of mary jane crocs there one year.

The end of the pier where the shops are all under cover too, so you will be able to protect Beth (and yourselves, of course) from the sun.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 125529
    I'd have to say head for the St. Pete's pier. There is a Columbia House restaurant there (same as the one in Celebration) and a couple of other restaurants right on the pier. It will be easy to manuever with Beth's chair, and the walk along the pier to the shops and restaurants won't be terribly difficult either. There is ample parking.

I can't honestly remember what the public restrooms are like, but the pier shops area does have an elevator for the upper floor.

I bought the nicest pair of mary jane crocs there one year.

The end of the pier where the shops are all under cover too, so you will be able to protect Beth (and yourselves, of course) from the sun.
    Thanks Tink. This is just what we are looking for

"malfunction junction". That's the intersection of I-4 and I-275 in downtown Tampa.
    Why is it called this. I am scared now as i will possibly be driving

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mainecoon lover, post: 125572
    Why is it called this. I am scared now as i will possibly be driving
    It was called that for years because that was normally the place where an accident would occur during the morning rush hour. Nothing really to be concerned about. Just be aware. Most of the problems I ever saw there were due to pure, rampant, stupidity and could easily have been avoided. Really nothing to worry about.

Here... try this.

Drive it virtually before you actually go there! Click on this link and this will put you into Google maps street view on I-4 heading into Tampa. Just keep clicking the little white arrow and adjusting your direction using the slider in the upper right hand corner. Follow the signs to I-275. This way, you can see what it's actually like before you ever get there!

Tom (... no worries!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast