Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: What is it you just "don't get"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof2, post: 126790
    huh, my Mum always said if we lost something we should pray to St Jude, never did help us find the stuff.....but i still do it sometimes just in case!
    well, Im praying just in case!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire, post: 126831
    Bring on the hyperventilating smilie again! Wow! How come I never get bargains like that!?
    I have a friend who was getting rid of it cause her exhusband bought it for her...

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    I need a manicure...please dont look at my nails Ive been working in the dirt all week!

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 126834
    I buy Vera Bradley bags and have way more than I need...don't even ask me how much I've spent.
    Go to the store...see what you like and then go to EBAY.

Ebay has been my friend for many an expensive item for a much cheaper price and the stuff has been new

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    WAIT A SECOND!!!!! Coach bags are made in CHINA??? Now THAT I don't get!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    but its sooooooffffffttttt ohhhh prettttyyyyy

Why are you shocked? Do they not have cows in China? Do they not make nice things in China?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I don't necessarily think they do make nice things in China. I think lots of things that end up being not so nice (lead based paint on children's toys, and things of that nature) come out of China. "Made in China" is rather synonymous with shoddy goods, at least around here. It also implies that there may be sweatshop labor behind the scenes.

I used to work for an importer who would go to China and other places in the far east for product. He would actually set up small cottage industries and just buy from those small groups as it was his only way of not supporting terrible working conditions. Perhaps, the Coach company has the same philosophy?

Anyway, all that to say I'm shocked because of the association of "shoddy" with "Made in China."

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    From http://knowknockoffs.com/Dont_fake_it.html

Ten reasons why you shouldn't buy a fake bag:
    Counterfeiters steal intellectual property and violate copyright laws.

Counterfeit factories use forced child labor and sweatshops. (so see..me buying a REAL bag is better)

Evidence indicates that illegal counterfeiters funnel money to organized crime and terrorists, including Al-Qaeda.

The FBI considers it a serious crime with implications for public safety and security.

Counterfeiters do not follow environmental regulations or safety guidelines.

Counterfeiting is detrimental to the United States economy and all of us. Business losses to illegal counterfeits are estimated to exceed $250 billion per year.

Fake bags are made with poor quality materials and inferior craftsmanship.

Counterfeiters often use the cheapest material available and no quality control.

Counterfeits are overpriced! A cheap thrill shouldn't cost more than $30.

Don't fake it! More people recognize knockoffs than you realize.

Post Thanks / Like
    But then again many so-called designer labels use cheap labor too.

Do you guys have anything like our "Fairtrade" thing here. Where certain products carry the Fairtrade logo so we know the people involve in its production are getting a fair wage and good working conditions? Stuff like coffee, chocolate, bananas, and some clothing over here carry the label and the range of products is growing. No designer labels have it though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we have the fairtrade label. Quite often on food products like coffee. I buy that label whenever possible.

I know brand names like Nike and Kathy Ireland, so on and so forth have been dunned for using sweatshop labor. Walmart is a huge supporter of that sort of terrible stuff, so we avoid the place as much as possible (which is pretty easy).

It's nearly impossible to know the implications attached to every purchase, but I sure do try. One of the many reasons I refuse to buy, Citgo Gas, Crackerbarrel, Chik Filet, Hess, and loads of other shops/restaurants/merchanise places. I don't get it right all the time, but I make a pretty darn good effort to do so most of the time.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast