Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ta Da it is official!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well Diane, I would love to show you around Norfolk...not yours but ours..hehe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 127839
    Well Diane, I would love to show you around Norfolk...not yours but ours..hehe.

That's a deal.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 127152
    Diane, Virginia is a beautiful state with a LOT of history. Did you know that 8 US Presidents were born in Virginia. George Washington's home, Mount Vernon is just a few miles from where we live here in Northern Virginia. And of course we are also just a few miles from Washington D.C. How long will you be here? 'Cause there is LOTS to do and see.
    I knew that! I had to do a yearlong project on Virginia in the 4th grade.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    awwww man to you and your lady wife dan. i know how you feel my dd left home for her 1st job when she was 18, 200mls away she came back 4 yrs later all grown up
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    For sure Mick. Thought about it yesterday. I was setting up our orientation date and looking through the correspondence from Longwood. Low and behold it mentioned the New Lancer Days - Aug 20 - 23 at the college. They have a lot for the new students to do to get ready for the new year. And I see it there in black and white.

Students living on even floors - drop off from 9 AM to 12 PM
    Students living on odd floors - drop off from 1 PM to 4 PM

And I found myself getting sort of blubbery, hoping she is on an odd floor to get a few more hours with her.

I guess they have some sort of send off for the parents. The kids gather en masse and have some sort of goodbye session with all the parents.

Man I have to keep it together. I don't want her to be uspset. Anyhow we have until August.

Post Thanks / Like
    its hard isnt it dan, got it all over again as mikey is off to uni in sept, but its different this time as im not at home
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    I snapped a picture of her beside "Joanie on the Pony". St. Joan of Arc is the patron saint of Longwood University. There are two statues of her on campus. The other one is called "Joanie on the Stoney". The latter is in the rotunda of Ruffner Hall. This one used to be in the hall but was placed in the walkway collumnade after Ruffner Hall nearly burned to the ground in 2003 (occured during renovations). It is totally restored now and is quite an impressive building.

DD is excited but doesn't want to think about next term too much. She doesn't want to wish her life away and wants to take in every minute of her senior year and summers. She has a great head on her shoulder....must take after her mom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations to Alex!

And don't think of it as an empty nest--just an underutilized one for the next three or four years! ;)

A thought for dorm shopping: If Alex will be sharing a bedroom, allocate the money for the spread and drapes, but don't buy in advance. When she meets her roommate, they can dicuss their thoughts and budgets and buy coordinating items. Possibly. It really depends.

Kristin attended a boarding school for high school and took everything with her, but when she attended university she purchased sheets (2 sets) in advance but waited to buy the spread until she met her roommates. Yeah. Plural--three of them in one room. It was an old building, a bit austere, no suites. They decided on neutral quilts/bedspreads with punches of their favourite colours for accessories. It worked well. :)

And the beds were extra-long twins. Not sure if they still use those--she graduated about 12 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advice Taja! I will leave all the decorating to DW and DD, I am just the beast of burden!

The school sent under a separate mailing a supplier of dorm linens to purchase...they look nice with school colors and all, but pricey. I think Alex with get her assignment in July. That will give her time to shop and plan with her new roomie.

One cool thing they do now is to loft the beds. Think of it as a bunk bed without the bottom bed, you can put your desk in there and open up the room a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, that photo of DD with Joanie is lovely. Alex is so pretty

Every time you talk about her going away I just want to give you a big hug!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast