Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Miserable Monday Morning.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof2, post: 128387
    we stayed in Ft. Lauderdale for a couple of nights on our honeymoon. i remember being so excited because we drove past a real life drive in movie!

that was a fabulous holiday. Miami down to Key West staying en route at Islamorada and Marathon, over to Everglades City which i adored. Naples, Ft Myers, Ft Lauderdale. Back to Miami for a night, over to Nassau then back to Miami for a night before heading home.

*sigh* 'scuse me while i dream of those days.......
    mmmmmmmmmmmm BK (before kids)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 128392
    mmmmmmmmmmmm BK (before kids)

yeah.....

Post Thanks / Like
    The woman I have working with me this week is from Newcastle. We drove past that drive in and she was pretty interested. I explained it to her, and how and why they fell out of favor. She said her partner is going to take her to a drive in when they visit Tenn. where he is from.

I'm on the 10th floor so I've taken to leaving the drapes open in the evening to have a "city" skyline view with the lights of the buildings. It's coming up on turtle nesting season so the lights will dim soon, but for now it is a pretty sight.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 128475
    The woman I have working with me this week is from Newcastle. We drove past that drive in and she was pretty interested. I explained it to her, and how and why they fell out of favor. She said her partner is going to take her to a drive in when they visit Tenn. where he is from.

I'm on the 10th floor so I've taken to leaving the drapes open in the evening to have a "city" skyline view with the lights of the buildings. It's coming up on turtle nesting season so the lights will dim soon, but for now it is a pretty sight.

hey that's cool, it's still there - wow! so why did they fall out of favour Tink?

a dream of mine would be to be able to quietly sit and look upon the turtles as prepare for their babies.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, many reasons one being the major discomfort of them! LOL. I mean, who really wants to sit in their car through a feature length movie? Then of course, if it rained it was no fun at all. Now you've got the wipers on, and the defroster going to keep the humidity down in the car so the windows don't fog!

The sound systems were really punk. :( The old ones were speakers you attached to your car window that crackled and hissed. The newer systems relied on tuning in your car radio... now you've got your car on again and a drain on the battery.

As I told my young English co-worker. The main reason people went to the drive in was NOT to watch the movie... follow? :spring:

They originally started out as a cheap way to see a movie, one price for the car. Then they started charging per person...

So, as a curiosity, fine. But as a viable way to see a movie? Nah. (And the refreshment stands were rubbish! ).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    huh, follow? whatever do you mean..............

there i was thinking it must be something sinister and all the time it's because of the rain and sore bums!

Post Thanks / Like
    Plus the cars got smaller... no leg room, etc.

I think the huge amount of land needed for a drive in was also part of it. It's a faded, nearly gone American experience. One to try if the opportunity allows, but surely nothing to go out of your way for. Rather like driving along the little bits of what remain of Route 66. Do it if you are there, but nothing to expend effort on. Some things, when they are gone, are truly done and over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 128487
    Plus the cars got smaller... no leg room, etc.

hee hee....see, you *are* norty too Tink!

Post Thanks / Like
    Moi!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 128498
    Moi!

uh huh, moi!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast