Thread: Luv DING!

Post Thanks / Like

Woohoo! The ladies only visit to Las Vegas is on! :D

Picked up DING! fares on Southwest Airlines yesterday. We were able to get our first choice outbound flights, but had to settle for second choice return flights. My first choice return wasn't available, so we're departing for home at noon rather than 1:30 p.m. We like the later flight in case we're feeling lazy and want to sleep in and putter around until check-out at 11:00 a.m.

This works, though! :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Woo!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    YAY!!! you need a countdown

Post Thanks / Like
    Woohoo!! When do you go?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    yei!!

how exciting!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Taja! Good to see you! I know you've just come out of your wicked busy season.

I've heard of Ding with Southwest, but don't really have a good understanding of what it is exactly.

Would you fill me in please? Thanks!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Isafari, post: 131937
    YAY!!! you need a countdown
    I'm afraid I'll jinx the trip if I add a countdown timer!

Quote Originally Posted by lisaw, post: 131947
    Woohoo!! When do you go?
    June 14 - 18. Just 4 nights--time to recharge the batteries!

Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 132095
    Hey Taja! Good to see you! I know you've just come out of your wicked busy season.

I've heard of Ding with Southwest, but don't really have a good understanding of what it is exactly.

Would you fill me in please? Thanks!
    Tink, you can download DING! from the southwest.com homepage. It's an appllcation that will notify you when there are special fares. It literally uses that lovely "ding" sound as if you were on a flight! :)

Like WDW discounts, there is no guarantee if or when there will be discounts. And they usually are within 30 days or so of the travel dates (sometimes 45 or 60, but more typically 30 or less). You have to access the fares through the DING! link. It can save a fair bit of money at times, others it isn't worth the headache to cancel and rebook the flights.

Unlike regular changes on Southwest, you actually have to cancel the existing booking and rebook using the DING! fare(s). If you know you'll be traveling and don't mind having some extra ticketless travel credits, you can book DING!, then cancel the existing flight(s) and have a credit on hand. If possible, I usually cancel first, then rebook using the credits for the DING! fare. I like to have two screens open so I can do it quickly.

I'm saving 45% from the lowest published fare and Leu is saving about 35%. They've offered more sales on her route, so it wasn't a big savings from the sale price. I'm saving about $15 per leg over the very rare sale price for my route. I guess they think fewer people will want to travel BUR to LAS in June than PHX to LAS. We're just a heat exchange--BUR to LAS moves from comfortable warmth (usually) to borderline blast furnace!

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta love a good deal!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Taja, that sounds cool. Like the ding they make on their commercials. It is all making sense now! Have a wonderful time.