Thread: Last Weekend's Race

Post Thanks / Like
    Short little trip report from 5/9 race in Pennsylvania. Let's see...long drive, late start, get to the cabin, my brother didn't leave me a key, had to go into the little town of Hawley, at the Settler's Inn. Had a beer and some bar mix. A friend brings up a key and we go and get settled in.

My brother gets away from the little league game and meets us at our favorite little bar in Archbald. I guess the bars in Northeastern Pennsylvania are somewhat like pubs in UK. They serve a lot of food and have a lot of tables for dining. We started with a dozen (more like 20) steamed clams for $.99, home made pierogi in butter and onions, buffalo wings (real ones awesome), and a bar pizza washed down with Yiengling lagers...hey were are getting ready for a race right? Have to carbo-bulk. Back to the cabin for a rest. Race starts bright and early!

Off to Donovan's for breakfast...good ol heavy American breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and hash browns.. (that's my bro by the breakfast place - not much to look at but awesome food)

We get to the river and paddle the 12 miles to the finish. This is the area I grew up around and have lots of family still living up there. I see Aunties, Uncles, and cousins right on the banks of the river wishing us well. The weather was really nice, the water a bit low, but it was again a great time. Wonder how many of these races I still have in the 51 year old body!

But let the record show I stayed awake at the race's end as evident by the photos, looks like my bro and buddy couldn't handle it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Great pictures! Looks like you had a great time.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 133032
    Great pictures! Looks like you had a great time.
    ...and a tiring time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Surprisngly I wasn't wiped out like these two young uns! Of course I think I actually came in last in the race..not that we were racing. We stopped along the way, heck we even stopped once to have a beer to toast a few of our paddlers who couldn't make this trip.

Of course I had to stop at every wave that looked like it could be surfed. But I was still last 206 minutes to go 12 miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool! I think it looks like a blast and that those naps were well deserved. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    lol the napping picture wasn't there when I replied.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!