Thread: Sun protection for little ones...

Post Thanks / Like
    Im a bit concerned about sun burning on Tatiana's legs...

weird huh?

The thing is, the stroller hood will protect her head and her upper body just fine, but her legs will be exposed most of the time...

I found this on ebay, do you think its worth it?

UV BUGGY COVER SPF40+ SHADE UR BABE!! sun protection - eBay (item 220414161853 end time May-23-09 10:53:14 PDT)

I asked if it wasnt too thick and warm... apparently it isnt....

I was thinking of just using a regular blanket, but Im not sure if this one would actually provide more UV protection,..... so consfused...

Post Thanks / Like
    We had one of those when Steven was tiny. It is very lightweight.

You still need to put suncream on though because she won't be in the buggy all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeap.. I was thinking just for something extra in case the sun is hitting the stroller directly...

Good to hear it worked for Steven Dawn!

Post Thanks / Like
    use as high a sun factor and a decent one too as you can get and keep doing it, should be fine mari
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say it was worth it only if you expect her to spend at least 15-20 minutes in the stroller at a time. Otherwise by the time you got her settled and strapped in, it'd almost be time to take it back off.

If you are expecting her to fall asleep/nap in the stroller, I'd definitely say it was worth it. I'd worry about it getting too hot as well, but it doesn't sound any worse than a dark colored recieving blanket. If it stays suspended above the child, it'd be a lot cooler and it's much more likely to stay in place than a regular blanket.

And then there's always the question of "Will she allow it?"
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is used in a way that does not block her view, you should be ok. However, any sort of shade device needs to be used in context with sunscreen. The stroller will be facing into the sun at some point, regardless of how hard you try to not have it do so. Plus, she'll be in and out of any protective shade device you use.

Remember that sunscreen needs to be reapplied, and that the "rating" means only that you'll be able to be in the sun for that many minutes...before burning. It's not a level of protection, rather a timing device, if that makes sense?

I hope she'll wear a hat? She'll need one to protect her head, and eyes. If you can get her to wear sunglasses that would be great too.

When we used to take Seth as a little one we had him loaded with sunscreen, wearing a wide brimmed hat, and sunglasses. I also had some sunscreen clothing for him too, and used a light blanket when carrying him.

The Florida sun is very hot, but so is the air temperature, so you have to be sure you don't inadvertently jeopardize the child's internal system for cooling, eh?

Loads of water and a few well placed Itzakadoozies helps! (Well, not for the sun of course, but for the heat).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be applying sunblock before we leave every morning, and will reapply at least every 2-3 hours....

She will sometimes wear a hat, but then again, sometimes she hates it so you never know..

Eyeglasses... I havent found a single pair here for babies... but Im not sure if she would keep them on...

I do believe she will nap from time to time in the stroller... and she usually likes to sit back and enjoy the ride, since she is quite used to being in one, still, you never know...hahaha... but I do expect her to spend enough time in the stroller to need some protection

Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 134315
    Loads of water and a few well placed Itzakadoozies helps! (Well, not for the sun of course, but for the heat).
    What are those???

Post Thanks / Like

It's a popsicle of sorts Very yummy and fruity