Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thomas' latest cube thingy

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris darling have you tried this?

NAGC

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 133893
    no such support for the gifted on this side of the pond I am afraid
    What annoys me is that in this country if he was gifted with kicking a football or swinging a cricket bat then he would have offers from all the colleges already! Why do we live in a society where such trivial things are seen over true potential?

A 'friend' (Term use loosley) of mine is brilliant at Rugby. He got offers from 3 of the local grammar school's colleges in July '08, before he'd even recieved his GCSE results.

He did pass his exams but got C's or D's in everything (except P.E and Humanities) and now goes to a better college than I do. I got 7 A's, 4 B's and a C (which was in P.E since I refused to put any effort in for- it was not optional as our high school was a 'sports college') To get into this college you need an A in English maths and Science- of which he got none.

He is the type of person who will not listen or reason with anyone and must have guessed his way through GCSE's as in each and every subject (except P.E) he got sent out or argued with teachers!

I didn't apply for the better college as my local one is much nearer and it does all the subjects I wanted to do, but if I had then I wouldn't have gotten in anyway!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Umm Josh you do not know that you wouldnt have gotten in because you didnt try...so you really cant say that.

So what you all are telling me is Oxford, Cambridge, Birmingham and Southampton are not academic universities and they are only Sports universities? I find that kind of hard to believe.

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    And some people just are not good at academics but can do other things (I for one have a learning disability yet I learned a 3rd year college computer sciences class in 3 days because I can do it with my hands) saying things like that is like saying you dont deserve anything because you arent good at sports...that doesnt seem so fair when you put the shoe on the other foot does it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 134019
    What annoys me is that in this country if he was gifted with kicking a football or swinging a cricket bat then he would have offers from all the colleges already! Why do we live in a society where such trivial things are seen over true potential?

A 'friend' (Term use loosley) of mine is brilliant at Rugby. He got offers from 3 of the local grammar school's colleges in July '08, before he'd even recieved his GCSE results.

He did pass his exams but got C's or D's in everything (except P.E and Humanities) and now goes to a better college than I do. I got 7 A's, 4 B's and a C (which was in P.E since I refused to put any effort in for- it was not optional as our high school was a 'sports college') To get into this college you need an A in English maths and Science- of which he got none.

He is the type of person who will not listen or reason with anyone and must have guessed his way through GCSE's as in each and every subject (except P.E) he got sent out or argued with teachers!

I didn't apply for the better college as my local one is much nearer and it does all the subjects I wanted to do, but if I had then I wouldn't have gotten in anyway!
    There's a lot of that in the US, as well, Josh. But as Sarah says, we're all good at different things and approach learning differently. And we never know if we'll succeed at something until we try. I'm the polar opposite of PA when it comes to learning methods--I like to read, understand a concept, then apply it!

But it can be a tad annoying that someone who is good at sports--which isn't supposed to be a career--earns millions of dollars a year while teachers and others who work in the community barely can make ends meet.

But we've gone there before in other threads, haven't we? And I'm sure we'll revisit the subject many times in the future! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 133946
    fraid not hun looked at a lot of stuff - the decision we have come to is that all we really want is for him to be happy and not to 'push him' into becoming some sort of social pariah.

I asked him how he solved it and he said that while he was asleep he was thinking about how they could have made the puzzle and what the internal mechanism must have looked like - he said once he had figured that out it was easy

I don't know how your grades work in the states but he has been at school for 4 years now - we call it year 3 with the 1st year being 'reception'

After another 'interesting' day can confirm he is rubbish at 10 pin bowling and Matthew beat him

which is no bad thing I can tell you :D
    That really is too bad, I'm going to assume that he is 8 going to be 9( or just turned 9) Most of our schools, at least the public ones have a gifted and talented program( although they go under many different names as not to damage the childs psyche!!) We also have a variety of summer programs at the local level that combine academics with sports. Our local universities also offer special programs. Even our local zoo and Science museums offer programs. Keep his mind active!! Bowling is also good!!( our youngest is pretty bright as well, sometimes he can be a bit dorky!! His interests are pretty wide, but he is not mechanically inclined at all!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Our school has a gifted and talented programme.

I still think there is financial aid available but it may only be from 11+

Post Thanks / Like
    josh my boy is on course for distinctions and merits in every subject at college, got good grade gcse's and still got turned down for portmouth uni where he really wanted to go and a guy in his class at college got no gcse' but got in....errrrrmmmmmm how does thwt work go figure. we contacted them and asked why and they wouldnt give a reason...so we just said right if thats how they are we dont want him going there they aint good enough for him, so hes off to brighton instead :)
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Pssst...perhaps you shouldn't be letting people know about your little genius. Watch out for the men in black......
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoAlice, post: 134020
    Umm Josh you do not know that you wouldnt have gotten in because you didnt try...so you really cant say that.

So what you all are telling me is Oxford, Cambridge, Birmingham and Southampton are not academic universities and they are only Sports universities? I find that kind of hard to believe.
    Umm.. I do know as I only just met the criteria (I only got a B in maths), and there are about 4x more applicants than there are places, their minimum specs are B's in all subjects but you are unlikely to get in with just B's because of the sheer majority of people wanting to go there.

College here is different from universities. To get to university it is based on, firstly your results, and secondly any extra-curriculum activities you can do However, sports scholarships are available.

And some people just are not good at academics but can do other things (I for one have a learning disability yet I learned a 3rd year college computer sciences class in 3 days because I can do it with my hands) saying things like that is like saying you dont deserve anything because you arent good at sports...that doesnt seem so fair when you put the shoe on the other foot does it?
    It isn't about his academics though, that's not the point. My point was that he got in to a college simply because they wanted him on their rugby team- he did not meet the criteria, and people with straight A's got turned down because they where full. They have a set intake from their high-school, where your GCSE results become irrelevant (so if you go to their high school you instantly have a place in their college) and the rest of the intake is from 'outsiders' who have strict policies on getting in.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234