Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some tips on how to cope with special needs whilst in Orlando

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok lets all add our tips for making life as easy as possible whilst on holiday in Orlando.

I will start:

1 - for changing pads (diapers) at the parks head to first aid. They will provide you with a bed in a private room. This is also ideal for when they want to have a nice long stretch.
    2 - When booking restraunts remember to let them know you have a wheelchair user in your party. They will be able to sit your party in a good area were the w/chair user will not get knocked or have the chance of dinner on thier laps when people or server's squeeze past.
    3- dont forget to go to guest services for your gap card. You may need to produce a doctors letter if it is less obvious that they have a disability. Disney will provide one for your whole stay were's you will have to renew the Universal ones on each visit.
    4- Buy your Seaworld tickets for carer and the person with a disability at the park. You will both get in at a cheaper rate. Universal use to do this as well but not sure if they still do.
    5- If your child/adult is tube fed speak to your dietician before you go. They may well be able to arrange for the pump and feed to be delivered to your accomidation. Saves you carrying it all there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent advice.

I have no recommendations but did see a situation that broke my heart.

Awoman was in the airport bathroom (handicapped stall) with her child who seemed to be about 15 or so. The child was clearly disabled, and she had to change him on the floor. I felt so bad for her and the boy.

I guess I'd say if you might face that situation, carry a light weight blanket or pad large enough to protect your child from the floor.

Baby changing tables are useless when the child outgrows them.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 3489
    Excellent advice.

I have no recommendations but did see a situation that broke my heart.

Awoman was in the airport bathroom (handicapped stall) with her child who seemed to be about 15 or so. The child was clearly disabled, and she had to change him on the floor. I felt so bad for her and the boy.

I guess I'd say if you might face that situation, carry a light weight blanket or pad large enough to protect your child from the floor.

Baby changing tables are useless when the child outgrows them.
    Excellent tip. This is a nightmare situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Universal now charge for their fastpass, but on our last visit, their Guest Services issued free passes for people with disabilities. I hope they still do this, it was a lifesaver on our last visit!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cathydisneynut, post: 4233
    Universal now charge for their fastpass, but on our last visit, their Guest Services issued free passes for people with disabilities. I hope they still do this, it was a lifesaver on our last visit!
    They were still doing this in December

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mainecoon lover, post: 4250
    They were still doing this in December
    Brill!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    A few tips we have found useful:

Re the above, (that might have been me in the airport), always seek out a first aid or medical room, or even a mother and baby room for changing older kids, all the parks and many airports, malls etc have them. The floor in a public toilet is a last resort.

A towel makes a comfortable and absorbant cover for a wheelchair allowing some air to circulate when it's hot and sticky and is easily washed.

You can buy an umbrella which clamps onto a wheelchair, useful as a sunshade too.

A cheap shower curtain makes a good easy to carry around mat for changing and is washable and wipeable. Alternatively buy some disposable or washable bed pads.

Wheelchairs are handy for carrying your gear around the parks, a rucksack will hang from the handles and hold it all neatly in one place.
    ~ don't you just love smilies & tickers ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Tink, does MCO have family restrooms? I don't recall seeing any, but I wasn't looking.

They were a lifesaver with my father!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for this thread. We personally don't have any special needs but have lots of guests who do............... I hope you don't mind me pinching them to help them

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently you don't need a doctors letter... no person in Florida working the parks has the right to ask or demand to see one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast