Thread: Letterman or Palin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive just been watching a piece on tv about the argument between david letterman and sarah palin. I love letterman and thought palin was a waste of time in the election anyway but what a total overreaction to a joke.

He's half apologized which is such a shame, he should have told her to get a life

Letterman vs. Palin: It's On! - Yahoo! News
    "It all started on Monday when David Letterman told some off-color jokes about Alaskan governor Sarah Palin and her daughter. Dave made some cracks about one of the Palin girls having to fend off Eliot Spitzer and getting knocked up by Yankees star Alex Rodriguez during a recent trip to the Big Apple.
    Shockingly, Gov. Palin didn't find the jokes very funny. In a statement to Fox News, Palin and her very riled-up husband Todd fired back at the CBS comedian. She called Letterman a sexually perverted 62-year-old celebrity and chided him for making inappropriate jokes about her 14-year-old daughter, Willow."

Post Thanks / Like
    Shocked? Im not shocked..I would be upset if someone called me slutty looking too..much less bringing my kids into that load of poo he was slinging..the other stuff..yea it was funny but those 2 things struck a nerve with me..but I like Sarah Palin

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Politics and celebrity aside.

If a grown man was making comments like that about my 14 year old daughter I would be upset and jump to her defense too. I think it's a natural instinct.

I didn't see it though so have no idea if it was funny, but making sexual jokes live on TV about a 14 year old child regardless of her mum's job, personality, politics and the likes is scraping the bottom of the barrel if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like
    ummm... well, I think if you are in the spotlight, you are game.... it might not be nice, but its the truth

I believe Sarah Palins daughter put herself in the spotlight a few weeks ago...

I do believe as a mother you have to react, but I think if she hadnt, it would have been forgotten sooner...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well he's pretty comprehensively apologised VIDEO: Dave Apologizes; Will Palin Accept? : TV MoJoe : TVWeek - Television Industry news, TV ratings, analysis, celebrity event photos

I don't think he really had much choice, even though the evil part in me wishes he'd said "I'm not going to apologise, just get over it, k?"

Sadly the research was flawed and the joke really wasn't worth the outcry so I think it's all he could do.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never been much of a Letterman fan, but I must say I can't see him deliberately poking fun at a 14 year old. As he says, intent falls by the wayside when perception is completely different.

I know I'm in the minority, but this is one reason why I don't like person centered jokes. Even though I do not like Sarah, and would never support her for any public office (and yes, I did snicker at Caribou Barbie) it's really not ok to poke fun at people, is it?

Most of us can say we've found a comment funny from time to time, but I don't think any of us truly likes to laugh at another person's expense. This is one of those situations that arises when someone thinks it's ok to laugh at another person, eh?

Oh, and for the record feel free to ignore everything I've just said as I didn't hear/see the original "joke" that has caused the uproar.

Since we are on the topic of public apologies, anyone see Gordon Ramsey's apology to the Australian news reporter? Whoooeee. That was a doozy!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 141219

Since we are on the topic of public apologies, anyone see Gordon Ramsey's apology to the Australian news reporter? Whoooeee. That was a doozy!
    No, I don't even know what happened there? Anyone have a link for this??

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 141219

I did my best to avoid the whole thing - which believe me was not easy - the media were having a field day with the whole beat-up!

She's not above personal attacks herself when it suits - very tabloid journalist! Not that I think that justifies it; just that it's a bit rich when you dish it out but can't take it.
    Next trip - Bali! (March 2015)