Thread: Very sad documentary/news report

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just watching CH4 news and there was a report on the aid that Africa recieves from Unicef and USAid- food packages that are supposed to go to Africa in the places where they need it most.

This aid is actually being pilfered by the people who are meant to be delivering it to the locals, and they are selling it on the black market. Apart from that, they are opening fire on the locals who ask for their ration tokens but do not have any money.

It showed a hospital where there was a starving 16 month old baby who's mother had no money so could not give in to their bribes and therefore had to starve.

It was very heart breaking and all I could think of was how lucky we are.

What I want to know is why this has not been publicised before the last few weeks where it has been 'uncovered' and why unicef as still denying the figures that are being traded- at least 1/2 of the aid was being sold in markets for profit.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    It really does bring things into perspective doesn't it

To be honest I don't think it's at all new. Charities over there have admitted this in the past but to be honest they don't go wild telling people out of fear that people would stop donating and 50% getting through saves more lives than 0 donations :/
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its only recently that the number of food that is actually getting robbed and sold has came to light I think.

Unicef have always said that they knew it happened- I mean it doesn't take einstein, the 'delivery' people are living in poverty/semi-poverty themselves, and its 'every man for himself', however, it is happening on such a grand scale that you wouldn't believe- stacks and stacks of food was stolen, there was 11 warehouses full of food that had been robbed, and those where just the ones that they found in Kenya, too. :(
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been going on for years Josh, it is sadly not new news :( I don't know what to do to fix it?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, it's not new information Josh. I have a bit of a harsher take on it. No pun intended. :(

I believe the charities that "donate" to Africa and other places where the donations are pilfered and then sold for profit, don't want the info public as that would drop/decrease donations. Less donations means less income for the charities and the salaries that those donations pay.

I have a really hard time with hugely organized charities. I currently support Bead for Life. If you'd like to take a look at that effort it's easy enough to google it and read about an incredible approach to helping people help themselves.

I remember being a kid (back when ice covered the earth) and my Da not allowing us to collect for UNICEF on Halloween as he felt the funds were being misused then.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    it is really sad, isnt it???

Post Thanks / Like
    According to this new report though, they have never known it to be in such numbers. I've always known they where being sold, but when you compare the two warehouses, the unicef one, and the one at the black market, you'd be so shocked at how little aid actually gets to the people that need it.
    Follow Me on Pinterest