Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best restaurant at downtown disney?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 143294
    DisneyFreak, we were so very disappointed. :( It was always our standby "guarantee" of a decent meal and nice time. We'd have been better off going to Publix for a rotisserie chicken.
    yep same experience :( we were once wowed when a huge chicken, too large really, but beautifully prepared turned up on our plates. Last time it was just plain icky.

We also tried the proper upstairs dining room and whereas the food there WAS nice, the acoustics in the room made everything very loud and echoey, the staff left much to be desired. Overpriced, overhyped and not worth the time.

A few weeks ago we did however have reasonably decent experiences at Planet Hollywood and House of Blues.

Now I know they're not for everyone, and I'm not saying we had gourmet meals there

Planet Hollywood was busy each time we went but managed to get the food out reasonably quickly. It was consistent, hot and nice enough for a quick snack. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a great meal but with its interesting theming and atmosphere, it's an experience and decent enough food.

We've always liked House of Blues for similar reasons. Great surroundings. The food was likewise pretty good for us. The choice isn't amazing but I gave them instructions on how to prepare my meal which they followed to the letter. DW's was easier, some kind of salad but again it was nice enough.

Raglan Road. Well, it was empty every time we went. We DID end up having a couple of meals there because we happened to be walking past and it was too hot to get to anywhere else :) Again DW's was great, my fish and chips was "OK" but not REALLY worth the price. The staff were good though, choice of alcohol good.

All in all, whilst we feel that we CAN get a meal we can live with at downtown disney, it's not where we choose to spend our dining dollars if we want something genuinely nice. Shame really. You'd imagine that the west side area would have some really truly great dining establishments but no. Heck, even just get a lowly old Cheesecake Factory or Ruby Tuesday in there and I bet it'd be totally packed out the whole time.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried House of Blues and really just didn't care for it, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't give it another try. Don't want to discount them after just one try.

I can't stand Planet Hollywood....bad staff, expensive, and the food isn't the best. I wont go back.

While Rainforest Cafe is expensive for so-so food, I go for the environment. I love the big fish tanks and could sit there all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember when the HOB opened. The cornbread was incredible and the main entrees were quite nice too. I think (well, ok I know) that my problem is that I've been around too long. :(

I notice all the cutbacks, remember when something was so much nicer, compare what is today to what was yesterday...

I think Raglan Road may be indicative of "pubs" overall. We have Hagan O'Reilly's near us. Packed all the time. The food is vile. Not just poor, inedibly vile. The beer is wonderful, the atmosphere too. That's kind of what I get at the Rag. Lousy food, but nice entertainment when it's there, and pretty darn good beer (but Hagan does pull a much better Guinness). Same thing seemed to happen in Ireland. I don't know if you remember the story of dinner at Merchant O'Shea's where Herself was given burnt lamb? Hysterically funny, but held up the "great beer, wonderful music, Mighty CRAIC indeed, but lousy food!

Remembering when... not always a pleasant experience.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 143328
    I have tried House of Blues and really just didn't care for it, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't give it another try. Don't want to discount them after just one try.

I can't stand Planet Hollywood....bad staff, expensive, and the food isn't the best. I wont go back.

While Rainforest Cafe is expensive for so-so food, I go for the environment. I love the big fish tanks and could sit there all day.
    It's so weird. I think some part of it is the mood we're in when we go.

One of the most memorable meals I had at Disney was when we first found the rainforest cafe. I'd NEVER seen one before and we just stumbled on it. One hot, hungry evening, they got us a table immediately by a huge fish tank. I was just wowed by the surroundings.

All I could find that I'd like was pizza so I had a boring cheese & onion pizza (and a bottle of wine ;-) but we had SUCH a great time there.

Every time since well, we know what to expect and the food turns out to be overpriced really for what it is, and once you've seen the surroundings you've seen them :/

Planet hollywood. As a couple, we get sat on the very worst tiny tables in the middle of the aisles. They're REALLY REALLY awful if I'm honest, but there's something about being there at 2am with all the movie stuff, loud music after just having seen a movie.

House of Blues is one of DWs favourites but all I've ever really been able to have is a burger. I'm trying desperately to, within my very very limited tastes, eat a little (TINY BIT) less badly, so this time I ordered a turkey club without all the healthy bits of course and actually it was very nice indeed. Nice glass of wine (can anyone see a recurring theme? :D ) and a good time was had by all!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember Cap'n Jacks when it was just seafood and had a great meal of crabs legs and a daquiri there one night while thunder and lightening raged outside.

Rainforest Cafe was always our standby as Adrian is a picky eater but after 3 goes at getting decent service we're giving up and are planning to try HOB next trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting how opinions and experiences can differ. We have always had excellent service at Rainforest.

We've been to HOB once. I honestly can't remember our meal there at all and it wasn't that long ago.

Planet Hollywood's food is ok but my God it so loud in there that I just can't stand it. We've tried 3 times now. I am in no hurry to go back.

I will stick to Puck's counter service. We've been to the one over near the theater. Is there a difference between that one and the one in the Marketplace?

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a bit. It used to have the exact same food, but now and then it's different between the two. The Express is the only place to even bother with anymore.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Busy making an itinerary. Just asked DH where he wanted to eat from all of the DTD restaurants before we go to CdS.
    Straight away, he said Bongos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Isafari, post: 143400
    Busy making an itinerary. Just asked DH where he wanted to eat from all of the DTD restaurants before we go to CdS.
    Straight away, he said Bongos.
    I dont remember Bongos, what kind of thing did they have and whats it like inside?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pigletpete, post: 143408
    I dont remember Bongos, what kind of thing did they have and whats it like inside?
    Bongos is in Westside DTD. It is a Cuban based menu. It is somewhere I never thought I would like as I have very simple taste when it comes to food. However, they will leave off sauces or put them seperate for you to try. They will replace rice with fries etc.

For starters, DH had a version of a prawn cocktail. I had Masitas de Puerco - Fried pork cubes marinated with garlic sauce served with grilled onions. This was delicious.

Mains, DH had the Bistec a la Milanesa - Breaded Cuban steak topped with marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese served with moro rice and yuca con mojo.
    I had the sweet & sour chicken - boneless chicken breast chunks deep fried and served with a sweet and sour sauce on the side, fried rice and sweet plantains.....I replaced the rice & plantains with fries.

The portions were huge.....I actually could have walked away quite content after the starter. We were too full for dessert.

This is a two storey building. We went in the evening and it was quite romantic inside with candles on all of the tables. There are also three bars in the building. I can't remember seeing any children in when we were there. There is live entertainment after 9pm but we didn't stay for this.
    One thing I remember....every single member of staff that I saw was beautiful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast