Thread: tripod question

Post Thanks / Like
    so i'm getting a heavier zoom lens- you know the collar thingie that they sell- do you have to have it to mount on a tripod- if so what does the collar attach to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Which zoom lens are you buying and what is the collar?
    1996 WDW Florida ~ 1998 DLP Paris ~ 2004 WDW Florida ~ 2006 WDW Florida ~ 2008 WDW Florida ~ 2010 DLP Paris

Post Thanks / Like
    princess-pink you sound like an expert what tripod would you recommend for a keen amateur

Post Thanks / Like
    i got a canon 70-200, i managed to find out the answer to my question on t'interweb - i can use the same tripod thank goodness

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pigletpete, post: 143409
    princess-pink you sound like an expert what tripod would you recommend for a keen amateur
    Hi Pigletpete, no sorry I am not an expert at all!

Tripod? well depends what you want it for, where you want to use it, & how much you want to spend, there are so many different ones, and there is a monopod.

The tripod legs can take up quite a bit of room when spread out so you would be better off maybe with a monopod in a crowded situation, and is also easier to move around your location and easier to follow moving subjects, but as it is 'mono' it will not stand up on its own, I would use this for say a football match where you can sit and steady it between your knees, I have a 'Manfrotto' one.

The 'gorillapod' has 3 short bendy legs, you can put it on an uneven surface like a rock at the beach, or wrap it round a door handle or railings, it comes in 2 or 3 sizes depending on the size of your camera, all of them are really compact you could carry around no problem.

If you go for a normal tripod I don't know about models and makes as I just have an old one which is about 20 years old, and have not done research on these lately, I would just make sure it is aluminium so it is light to carry and that it is pretty compact when folded, if it is bulky and heavy then you will just leave it at home.

You can also get tiny table top tripods for photographing still life (bowl of fruit or close up of jewellery) they are only a few quid off ebay.

Hope that helps, just go online, Warehouse Express - Digital Camera, Digital SLR Cameras, Lens, Canon, Nikon for example has many to choose from, and read as much as you can, then if you find one you like go to amazon.co.uk, they may well have customer reviews on your chosen model just to clarify your choice. Good luck!
    1996 WDW Florida ~ 1998 DLP Paris ~ 2004 WDW Florida ~ 2006 WDW Florida ~ 2008 WDW Florida ~ 2010 DLP Paris