Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: diets that work?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've lost 6 stone on 1500 calories a day. I think doing it slowly is the healthiest and most sustainable way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 146371
    i think that the only real way to achieve long term weight loss is by changing your habits. We all know what to do and there are no quick fixes. I do believe that some are predisposed to being heavier though. I know people that have done the lighter life (meal replacement) diet and have spent a fortune on it then gone back to the same weight that they were before.
    I completely agree. Unless you plan to spend the rest of your life using the meal replacement plans, you are doomed to gain the weight back. I can see it as being a good tool to kick start weight loss though.

We all want a quick fix but we didn't gain the weight that quickly.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 146376
    I completely agree. Unless you plan to spend the rest of your life using the meal replacement plans, you are doomed to gain the weight back. I can see it as being a good tool to kick start weight loss though.

We all want a quick fix but we didn't gain the weight that quickly.
    It's been shown that you are no more likely to gain the weight back after a meal replacement diet than you are with any other diet. Provided you don't go back to your old eating habits you will keep the weight off.
    The only difference between a 'normal' diet and a meal replacment diet is that with a meal replacement you have to go through a few weeks where you 're-feed' yourself by slowly reindroducing food. After you've done that you're no more likely to gain the weight back than if you had lost the weight on a healthy eating plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    What Britchick and Julie said. Slow and steady with a reasonable amount of calories.

The essential rule about weight loss is that you need to eat less calories than you burn off each day so upping the exercise will always help.

And I don't know of any doctor that I have worked with that would condone a diet of less than 1500 calories a day. It's not healthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 146395
    And I don't know of any doctor that I have worked with that would condone a diet of less than 1500 calories a day. It's not healthy.
    It's perfectly healthy as long as you don't stay on it for longer than 12 weeks at a time. There is more scientific proof in very low calorie diets being a good thing than a bad thing (have a google if you don't believe me).
    Doctors quite regularly condone things like the cambridge diet and lighter life because it is far better that the person is doing something about their weight than not.
    Obesity is a huge (no pun intended!) problem in this country so when doctors see someone taking charge of their weight problem most of them are very encouraging.
    For the record I've never known a doctor not to agree to let someone do the diet I'm on and I've been around this diet for quite a while now (I've been doing this diet in stages since the beginning of last year due to unrelated health issues).
    I really don't want this to be taken the wrong way but that sort of dismissive attitude is very common and it usually comes from someone who knows nothing about the diet (please don't take this as a dig at you I get that sort of responce a lot so I just feel the need to point out that people need to research before commenting).

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, the key to loosing weight would be not to drink fizzy drinks and snacks, and do a bit more exercise.

For 'main meals' I actually eat really healthily. A low-fat diet (probably because I'm vegetarian so its hard to eat a fatty diet), lot's of veg and fruit.

However, in college, I often grab a quick snack at break, and it's just too convinient for me to grab a chocolate bar or a waffle when I could get an apple or a piece of fruit from home. Plus, a small bottle of water is 1.20, when coke is only like 80p a bottle. I'm not a stinge-bag, but 1.20 for a smaller than usual bottle of water is extortionate!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piratekelly, post: 146406
    It's perfectly healthy as long as you don't stay on it for longer than 12 weeks at a time. There is more scientific proof in very low calorie diets being a good thing than a bad thing (have a google if you don't believe me).
    I think when people hear this they naturally think OMG no way! but I know from my own research that in fact a very low calorie, but with sufficient proteins, vitimins, diet has been linked to longer life in many tribes. I dont think I could necessarily do it but I think youre right

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 146355
    Im thinking no more than four packs of polos and lots of water but hopefully there's a bit more than that

LOL Keith, but don't forget you can eat as many of the holes in the polo's as you want

Post Thanks / Like
    On BBC Three there is a diet program now- one woman in particular uses a meal-replacement thing advised by her GP as she was over 3 stone overweight.

She went on it for 12 weeks at a time, lost 11lbs in the first week, 6 in the next, and 5 each week after that. After a few weeks on the diet she didn't feel right and got rushed to hospital. It caused her to form gall stones (since the gall bladder breaks down fat and she suddenly had a no-fat diet.), and she had to have her gall bladder removed. The person who did the operation said it was the 3rd person in a year that was on the same diet (which was OK'd by each of their GP's- the only specification is that you are 3 stone overweight!)

Quite worrying that it is reccomended by GP's yet causes so many problems. The on-show dietition said that anything less than 1,000 calories a day is going to put serious strain on your gall bladder.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Britchick. I believe it's about changing the habits your mind and body have that is the most important and effective thing. My friend and colleague Pete Cohen has a great programme that works for so many people and has done for years - he does lots of tv work (GMTV Inchloss Island, This Morning with Eamon Holmes etc) as well as lots of private clients, and it's a different approach to losing weight. It's worth a look at least:

Weight Loss Programme - Pete Cohen's petecohen.tv

Weight Loss Guru - Top weight loss tips and advice from Pete Cohen

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast