Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: diets that work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 146469
    On BBC Three there is a diet program now- one woman in particular uses a meal-replacement thing advised by her GP as she was over 3 stone overweight.

She went on it for 12 weeks at a time, lost 11lbs in the first week, 6 in the next, and 5 each week after that. After a few weeks on the diet she didn't feel right and got rushed to hospital. It caused her to form gall stones (since the gall bladder breaks down fat and she suddenly had a no-fat diet.), and she had to have her gall bladder removed. The person who did the operation said it was the 3rd person in a year that was on the same diet (which was OK'd by each of their GP's- the only specification is that you are 3 stone overweight!)

Quite worrying that it is reccomended by GP's yet causes so many problems. The on-show dietition said that anything less than 1,000 calories a day is going to put serious strain on your gall bladder.
    Did you know that your gall bladder is an un-needed organ much like your appendix? You can live a perfectly normal life without it. Did you also know that most people have a certain amount of gallstones by the time they die but have gone their entire life without any affects?
    Yes this diet does raise more awareness of gallstone (and the problems they can cause) but the stones themselves are actually caused by the high fat diet the dieter was on before not because they are on the diet.
    I had my gallbladder removed last year due to gallstones caused by the diet I used to be on (doctors words). I had 2 weeks off my diet when I went to WDW last year and it was the food I ate there that triggered the side affects because my body was now used to living on a very low fat diet it reacted when I had high fat again. This was not the fault of the low calorie diet this was the fault of the high fat diet I used to be on, the low calorie diet had just brought to light what I had been doing to myself for years.
    I also watched that programme by the way and the doctor did say when someone has a lot of weight to lose (I had 8 stone to start with) they are great as they are more healthy for that person than staying the weight they currently are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piratekelly, post: 146499
    Did you know that your gall bladder is an un-needed organ much like your appendix?
    It is a needed organ as it stores bile produced by the liver and uses it to break down fats. It's not like the appendix that gets removed and you go off and carry on as normal. If you have your gall bladder removed you have no bile to break down fats therefore you have severe problems digesting high fat foods. With no gall bladder you are on a restricted diet for the rest of your life and will probably need enzyme supplements too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooh my Dad has had his gall bladder out and we didn't know this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 146501
    It is a needed organ as it stores bile produced by the liver and uses it to break down fats. It's not like the appendix that gets removed and you go off and carry on as normal. If you have your gall bladder removed you have no bile to break down fats therefore you have severe problems digesting high fat foods. With no gall bladder you are on a restricted diet for the rest of your life and will probably need enzyme supplements too.
    Ahh! Why wasn't I told this!! Could this be why I got so big since it was removed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by princess-pink, post: 146303
    Just eat healthy food, put half normal portion on a small plate, (your stomach will shrink and get used to small portions) no snacking in between meals or if you are still hungry have fruit, drink lots of water to fill you up and flush out your system.
    Maybe at the weekend have a treat as a reward.

I only eat healthy food, my stomach can't cope with something like greasy fish and chips from the chip shop, just gives me indigestion, but oven chips or potato wedges and fish in breadcrumbs would be a healthier version.

Are you stuck on eating takeaway food? I think some people get stuck on stuff like that as a habit and they get used to it and enjoy that rather than healthy stuff, it becomes their way of life, they don't think about what is in it.

You must remember, you are what you eat, eat healthy - you will be healthy, eat fatty foods - you will be fat.

Another tip - don't go food shopping on a hungry stomach, you will come home with all the wrong stuff!
    You have to be strong and be positive.

Great advice, I never diet just try and eat as healthy as poss, I followed the Paul McKenna (I can make you thin) and it is great, eat smaller portions and slower so you brain has time to tell you your full, only eat if you are hungery. Don't get me wrong I do pick sometimes but you get used to thinking do I really want this or am I just eating as I'm bored, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll add one thing to the fray. :)

What works for some, does not work for all. Some of us have metabolic disorders that make the limited advice of "eat less, exercise more" very frustrating and disheartening. Some of us can eat less, exercise more and not drop a pound. I am one of those people.

For me, I had to learn WHAT to eat. Once I learned much of what I cannot eat (for my health) life started to turn around.

So, I'm always a little jumpy (and sad) when I hear "eat less" {piggy} and "exercise more" {lazy} and you'll lose. For some of us it has to be, "eat what works for your body, and you'll naturally eat less, and then you'll have energy enough to exercise (and it will feel good so you will) more."

Always check with your doctor and make it a serious check. Discuss why you want to lose weight. Discuss what you've tried and why it hasn't worked. Discuss what you are willing to do, have the time to do, have the money to do... make it a genuine consult/discussion.

Then work on learning what works for YOUR body. It most likely won't be what worked for me, or the next person in line.

Good luck, and remember to think healthy, not "weight loss" or "looking better" ok?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 146670
    I'll add one thing to the fray. :)

What works for some, does not work for all. Some of us have metabolic disorders that make the limited advice of "eat less, exercise more" very frustrating and disheartening. Some of us can eat less, exercise more and not drop a pound. I am one of those people.

For me, I had to learn WHAT to eat. Once I learned much of what I cannot eat (for my health) life started to turn around.

So, I'm always a little jumpy (and sad) when I hear "eat less" {piggy} and "exercise more" {lazy} and you'll lose. For some of us it has to be, "eat what works for your body, and you'll naturally eat less, and then you'll have energy enough to exercise (and it will feel good so you will) more."

Always check with your doctor and make it a serious check. Discuss why you want to lose weight. Discuss what you've tried and why it hasn't worked. Discuss what you are willing to do, have the time to do, have the money to do... make it a genuine consult/discussion.

Then work on learning what works for YOUR body. It most likely won't be what worked for me, or the next person in line.

Good luck, and remember to think healthy, not "weight loss" or "looking better" ok?

Great advice tink and sorry if I upset anyone with my idea. My Aunty has under-active theroids so she really has problems losing weight, I feel so sorry for people that suffer with any weight related issus as it can be so disheartening like Tink said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piratekelly, post: 146499
    Did you know that your gall bladder is an un-needed organ much like your appendix? You can live a perfectly normal life without it. Did you also know that most people have a certain amount of gallstones by the time they die but have gone their entire life without any affects?
    Yes this diet does raise more awareness of gallstone (and the problems they can cause) but the stones themselves are actually caused by the high fat diet the dieter was on before not because they are on the diet.
    I had my gallbladder removed last year due to gallstones caused by the diet I used to be on (doctors words). I had 2 weeks off my diet when I went to WDW last year and it was the food I ate there that triggered the side affects because my body was now used to living on a very low fat diet it reacted when I had high fat again. This was not the fault of the low calorie diet this was the fault of the high fat diet I used to be on, the low calorie diet had just brought to light what I had been doing to myself for years.
    I also watched that programme by the way and the doctor did say when someone has a lot of weight to lose (I had 8 stone to start with) they are great as they are more healthy for that person than staying the weight they currently are.
    The lady was off work for 3 months afterwards after the operation.
    What the doctor actually said was that it is a hard job to decide whether someone should be on the liquid diet as it is a case of risking it with regards to their health, or letting them stay the weight they are and possibly developing other problems.

I mean, it's great that it's been a success for you, but you don't know how anyone is going to react to them. Apart from the health risks, I would be SO bored eating milkshakes and bars all day.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 146841
    I mean, it's great that it's been a success for you, but you don't know how anyone is going to react to them.
    This could be said about any diet though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 146501
    Your bile comes from your liver not your gall bladder, the gall bladder is purely for bile storage.
    My surgeon informed me that yes you do carry on as normal after you have your gall bladder removed as your liver just carries on producing bile the same way it always did, the only side affect (not felt by everyone) being that you can occationally suffer with indigestion caused by the liver producing that extra amount of bile that it would normally store in your gall bladder. I personally have never had this side affect and can tell you that I can eat exactly the same now as I did before I had my gall bladder removed ( I couldn't do this diet for 3 months after the op and ate rubbish because I felt so sorry for myself), and the enzyme supplement thing I've never even heard of that nevermind had to take them.
    I get the impression you're from a medical background but I would say it is a little limited where this is concerned (that's not meant in an offensive way so I'm sorry if you take it that way).
    Before I had my op I looked into this very carefully (probably a bit to much, I'm a bit of an obsessive person) and by the time it came round to me having it done my surgeon was sick of my questions. I'm very clued up on this procedure being that it was less than a year ago this all happened to me and am a little concerned, if you are from a medical background at some of the things you are saying to be honest as they aren't true for the majority of people that have this op.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast