Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help any technophobes

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if I've put this in the right place but here goes. I'm a complete worrier when it comes to organising everything about a trip. At the moment I have a mindset that the ground staff when I do Twilight Check in are going to tell me my email confirmation from Virgin isn't enough to get on the plane. However, I can think about that after I've sorted this out. I bought a laptop and I have a wireless router fixed to my computer at home. I want to take my laptop to WDW and wondered what I needed to be able to use it on the plane. Please can someone explain this to me in 'Laptop use for dummies' type language. And one other thing, when we last went in 2007 we left our suitcases after going through the second lot of customs and had bright yellow tags so they would get picked up by DME. I'm pretty certain this has finished so can I now just carry my suitcases after the 2nd customs and go to the DME station downstairs and take my suitcase to the bus. Thanks

DLP The Disneyland Hotel
    1998 Wilderness Lodge
    1999 Off site
    2000 Caribbean Beach
    2001 Coronado Springs
    2003 Beach Club
    2005 Beach Club
    2007 Beach Club
    2009 Beach Club
    2012 Beach Club
    2014 Beach Club Concierge

Post Thanks / Like
    ok well you need a printout that says "Eticket - receipt/itinerary" on it to check in with your passports of course ;) I've used those for the last x years and it's perfect and works each and every time.

Laptop on the plane. Well just to use it you don't need anything of course. The battery will only last a couple of hours or whatever though so then you'll be looking to have it powered in some way. Now I've never bothered on a VA flight but this page Virgin Atlantic Airways - Popup suggests that it's mainly UC that has laptop power although PE may on some flights. No Internet on any VA flights that I know of yet (cant wait till they do though) so you dont need to worry much about that other than learning how to turn off WIFI if you want to adhere strictly to the rules.

Bags for DME. Yep, no yellow tags for poor UKers any more so your choices are:-
    1. as you say, don't put it on the second set of conveyer belts and keep it with you on the train back to the main building, go to DME and take it on the bus. Driver will store for you and this ensures the bags get to the resort the same time as you do :)

2. Do the same as you did without the yellow tags. Stick the bags on the second conveyer then when you go to DME, show them your luggage claim tags which they'll scan. They'll then find your cases and deliver them to your room as usual :)
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used wifi internet on one domestic flight. It's not all it's cracked up to be, at least it wasn't in my case (AirTran). I think Becca has had experience with it, and her report on the matter may be more positive.

I found it slow, and a tediously lengthy process to get through to "sign up" and gain access to the service. Once on, it was so frustrating to use, I was glad it was free!

So, all that to say, no real loss from my point of view, in not having 'net service on the plane.

Good luck with the plans for your holiday Val!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tink and thanks Keith. I'm going UC and I know they've got power points so what do I need to go with this? Sorry to be a pain but I'm totally hopeless unless somebody says 'put this plug in this connection etc'

DLP The Disneyland Hotel
    1998 Wilderness Lodge
    1999 Off site
    2000 Caribbean Beach
    2001 Coronado Springs
    2003 Beach Club
    2005 Beach Club
    2007 Beach Club
    2009 Beach Club
    2012 Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like
    OOOO UC I'm so jealous :( which laptop do you have and I'll check the charts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 149118
    OOOO UC I'm so jealous :( which laptop do you have and I'll check the charts?
    I've got a Toshiba L300/L399D series (at least that's what the manual says) I only got UC 'cos I had so many airmiles and I booked way back in March or April for December

DLP The Disneyland Hotel
    1998 Wilderness Lodge
    1999 Off site
    2000 Caribbean Beach
    2001 Coronado Springs
    2003 Beach Club
    2005 Beach Club
    2007 Beach Club
    2009 Beach Club
    2012 Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piglet, post: 149120
    I've got a Toshiba L300/L399D series (at least that's what the manual says) I only got UC 'cos I had so many airmiles and I booked way back in March or April for December
    hmmm well here's the official list of laptops they have "tips" for which will power the laptop from the seat
    http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/tridi...cm4-190361.pdf

Now I cant immediately find the l399 on there and the folks on board are usually told not to try and guess in case it blows up the laptop. I do suspect that it'll be virgin atlantic tip 3 or 6 whichever one fits best but can't be sure from what they say on that site.

Now, I know virgin use the empower system so you could investigate buying your own adapter to make sure but that's only if you're very very very very sure you MUST have it because it'll certainly cost.

I'd be inclined to just turn up, sit down and ask them to supply the bits which they'll try and do and it'll be free :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much for your help Keith, that was great. I'm not going to spend any money on anything new cos I know I can email from the Club House at Gatwick and I'll take it and use it in the hotel

DLP The Disneyland Hotel
    1998 Wilderness Lodge
    1999 Off site
    2000 Caribbean Beach
    2001 Coronado Springs
    2003 Beach Club
    2005 Beach Club
    2007 Beach Club
    2009 Beach Club
    2012 Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piglet, post: 149116
    Thanks Tink and thanks Keith. I'm going UC and I know they've got power points so what do I need to go with this? Sorry to be a pain but I'm totally hopeless unless somebody says 'put this plug in this connection etc'
    Thats why you have to take me hun cause im a computer expert
    Jacqui xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine, post: 149591
    Thats why you have to take me hun cause im a computer expert
    Jacqui xxx
    Oh welll if I must !!!! but purely for carrying the bags, tipping drivers and mousekeeping and generally making sure everything goes wonderfully for me. Oh and only speak when you're spoken to. Now I'm pretty sure that's going to be impossible for you

DLP The Disneyland Hotel
    1998 Wilderness Lodge
    1999 Off site
    2000 Caribbean Beach
    2001 Coronado Springs
    2003 Beach Club
    2005 Beach Club
    2007 Beach Club
    2009 Beach Club
    2012 Beach Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast