Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dining plan good idea or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    One more thing.... if you are not from the US, you dont have to worry about the exchange rate, since you already paid for it!

Post Thanks / Like
    We must be odd! I never really thought of ordering from the menu based on what was more expensive, just what we wanted to eat! Even the buffets right now are well over $25.00 per adult. It seems to me you would break out even at least unless you only eat once a day. DS would expire from that thought though, he is a true grazer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just weird then I'm not at all sure about the dining plan although we have done it on occasions. Even free I'm not sure it's always the best deal which I know sounds weird!

I guess it depends on how you choose to do the meals. First thing which counts against the plan for us is we like to go offsite as much as we can with not having our own transport. So we'll be offsite for maybe 7 out of 14 days. On those days we wouldn't use the plan so the credits mount up.

We go to mainly the premium restaurants, so each one is 2 credits per head even though the cost of the meal isn't that much more than say le cellier which is only one credit.

We get bored of counter service burgers really fast so we end up with a TON of counter service credits left at the end.

We use the snack credits for water and things but without the plan we'd buy a load of cheap water from walmart so snack credits not worth much to us.

We LOVED gratuities being covered by the plan but they no longer are! so we end up having to pay those out of pocket anyway which is a pain.

We prefer a starter and a main to desserts, but the plan is now main + dessert :/ vs three courses which it used to be!

For the two of us, the DDP ends up as about $1120 for 14 nights. With the table in wonderland card 20% discount on everything INCLUDING alcohol, $1120 is quite a bit available for wherever/whatever we want.

For the times where the dining plan is "free", we have to pay rack rates on the hotel. Well with AP or even AAA/other special discounts, we can often save more than $1120!

Now I know all of that doesn't always apply but generally speaking it just doesn't seem "WOW" to us
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 149522
    I personally think the DDP has done major damage to the quality of food and service at WDW. I know when we are asked if were are on the DDP and we say no, we get big smiles and generally, excellent service.
    Couldn`t agree more Tink.
    Apart from things like this making it very hard for "non DDP" guests to get the ADR`s they want [or for making it essential to even make an ADR in the first place ], many of the servers I know wish that it had never been instigated.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is all good to know. This will be our first time using the DDP, so there are pros and cons. I'm going to be making the reservations, and we want to try NEW places....no DGK's with us this time. I've always wanted to try Morocco, Rick wants to try EVERYTHING!
    People who say money doesn't buy happiness...don't know where to shop!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just downloaded the list of restaurants and the do's and don'ts of the dining plan. Doesn't sound TOO complicated....but then we're talking about me here.
    People who say money doesn't buy happiness...don't know where to shop!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done the dining plan on several occasions with varied results. Most recently I visited in February for my birthday, and used the dining plan to its full advantage. With anything Disney, there are pros and cons.

First of all, it is a money saver. It's also is a great way to "encourage" you to try new places that otherwise you would pass over opting for "something quick" to hold you over until... Choices are abundant but locations do take some preplanning.

I recommend you saving your dining plan for outside the parks. Experience the other resorts! The park food, generally is mediocre at best with a few exceptions (World Showcase). The only problem with doing this is planning transportation time. I generally stay on property and use the DTS so I have to budget time to get to and from one resort to another, using the nearest park, TTC or Downtown Disney as a transfer hub. If you're familiar with the DTS, this is pretty easy to do. After a day there, you should know what busses go where the quickest.

Get friendly with your server from the start! Let them know you are on the DDP, and ARE aware that gratuity is NOT included. You will receive much better service. I get to know my servers and take excellent care of them. They will do the same for you and you can even learn valuable inside information to get even more out of your vacation. This plan is very popular, and unfortunately there are those families that feel they have to take full advantage without the courtesy of gratuity. A happy cast member this does NOT make.

I travel alone, and getting "in" to most restaurants was very easy without priority seating. If you are a family of 4 or more, take full advantage of the online or phone reservation system. You will most likely not be able to walk in to your favorite restaurants without making prior arrangements. (Le Cellier, Mama Melrose's). You can always cancel without penalty with the exception of dinner shows and the like.

For my next trip in Sept. I booked early, made all dining, tour and special event arrangements in advance. The plan was supposed to be "free" with a booking by a certain date, but the same hotel and shorter length of stay was actually more than it was 7 months ago with no difference in season guest traffic. They're generating attendance, can you blame them? I wanted to see if the preplanning for a single traveller made any difference. I'll keep you posted. Bon Appetit!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"When you rush around in hopeless circles, searching everywhere for something true, you're at the age of not believing, when all the make-believe is through."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 153344
    I'm just weird then I'm not at all sure about the dining plan although we have done it on occasions. Even free I'm not sure it's always the best deal which I know sounds weird!

I guess it depends on how you choose to do the meals. First thing which counts against the plan for us is we like to go offsite as much as we can with not having our own transport. So we'll be offsite for maybe 7 out of 14 days. On those days we wouldn't use the plan so the credits mount up.

We go to mainly the premium restaurants, so each one is 2 credits per head even though the cost of the meal isn't that much more than say le cellier which is only one credit.

We get bored of counter service burgers really fast so we end up with a TON of counter service credits left at the end.

We use the snack credits for water and things but without the plan we'd buy a load of cheap water from walmart so snack credits not worth much to us.

We LOVED gratuities being covered by the plan but they no longer are! so we end up having to pay those out of pocket anyway which is a pain.

We prefer a starter and a main to desserts, but the plan is now main + dessert :/ vs three courses which it used to be!

For the two of us, the DDP ends up as about $1120 for 14 nights. With the table in wonderland card 20% discount on everything INCLUDING alcohol, $1120 is quite a bit available for wherever/whatever we want.

For the times where the dining plan is "free", we have to pay rack rates on the hotel. Well with AP or even AAA/other special discounts, we can often save more than $1120!

Now I know all of that doesn't always apply but generally speaking it just doesn't seem "WOW" to us

Isn't the dining plan $40.99 per day? If it was free you could use the credits for 7 - 2 credit meals and then eat the rest of the time off site! See we rarely go off site, if we did we might have to reconsider as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkfan, post: 153763
    Isn't the dining plan $40.99 per day? If it was free you could use the credits for 7 - 2 credit meals and then eat the rest of the time off site! See we rarely go off site, if we did we might have to reconsider as well
    about $40 per night per person yep

yeah but you see we save more than the plan is worth either in terms of cost of the meals we'd buy OR in terms of how much to actually buy the plan, by using things like the annual pass discount on the rooms
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    We've done the dining plan many times since it's inception and every time but once has been free.

I don't complain about free. Ever.

I don't know how I feel about paying for it though. We did it once. That was fine since it was a short weekend and they were test driving it for AP holders.

I DO know that some of the restaurants I just will NOT go to if I have to pay OOP for. Tutto Italiano is one. It is expensive. There were 2 of us for LUNCH and it was $86 before tip. Umm no, not paying that.

I also know that the dining plan has been a huge success. People generally love it since it's prepaid and they don't need to worry about money. They just need to pay the tip. The only thing I really don't like is that I have to make my ADR's so far in advance.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12