Thread: Suitcase questions

Post Thanks / Like
    weird suitcase questions, we were over our allowance last time and discovered that empty our cases weighed 6KG! have any of you found the same and got lower weight ones or do all cases with pull handles weigh so much?

second, how do you mark your case so it's easy to find on the luggage conveyer? Its a nightmare trying to see when ours is coming because it looks the same as everyone elses

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chipndale, post: 149930
    weird suitcase questions, we were over our allowance last time and discovered that empty our cases weighed 6KG! have any of you found the same and got lower weight ones or do all cases with pull handles weigh so much?

second, how do you mark your case so it's easy to find on the luggage conveyer? Its a nightmare trying to see when ours is coming because it looks the same as everyone elses
    I`d be surprised if the weight of the suitcases vary by a kilo or so.
    My DW and I have black Samsonite cases which as you say look identical to many others on the conveyor belt.
    We always put coloured luggage straps around them which not only forms an extra safety feature should the case burst open, but it also helps to identify them.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have bright coloured Samsonite suitcases, which we jazz up even more with a bright TSA luggage strap and then tie a bright ribbon to the handle - I think I made a lot of peoples day on our last trip when Rob had to pull off the conveyor belt a bright pink suitcase with a rainbow strap and some lovely dangly bows............................ He very quickly gave it to me to pull, bless

Post Thanks / Like
    We have luminouss green luggage straps plus, I tie ribbon the the handles....the loudest, brightest ribbon I can find

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some suitcases, especially hard plastic ones that are VERY heavy on their own... howeve rI have found that most "newer" suitcases arent too heave, many are lighter than you would expect for the size

As for identifying your bags... I agree.. colorful ribbons, luggage tags, or even a bright color suitcase can do the trick

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I'm concerned about the weight and size of our luggage. I'm going to get them down next month to check in case I need to replace them.

We have coloured luggage straps and I also tie ribbons to the handles.
    I noticed that DS has large stickers on his.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Since Delta (and most of the other airlines, I believe) started charging a $15 fee for every checked bag--that means my family's luggage is going to incur a $90 total for the round trip--with a $25 fee for any additional checked bags, and a weight limit of 50lbs...I bought a nice digital luggage scale. Our bags will be weighed several times at home as we pack, to make sure they don't go over-limit, and to make sure there's enough unused weight allowance to permit the purchase of various odds and ends during the trip!

On a side note, I read Mike's 2008 trip report and I must admit, I'm sorely tempted to try making it a carry-on only journey! But, being as I'm the kind of girl whose purse always seems to weigh 20 lbs. (no matter how large or small the purse), I don't know if that's a reasonable goal...

I agree with the other postings here, tying a nice bright ribbon onto your luggage helps it to stand out from the herd. I usually get one of the curly clumpy gift ribbon thingies (designed to be stuck on the side of a gift bag); they come in really garish tones like a watermelon/electric green/silver combination, and they don't get ruined easily by luggage handlers. You could also try fastening a distinctive keychain-type critter onto the handle. Then you can yell across the luggage carousel, "Oh, that's mine--the one with the monkey!" *gigglefit*
    Love isn't about finding someone you can live with.
    It's about finding someone you can share a lifetime with.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have these ones

Electric blue superlite large suitcase from Tripp

They only weigh 3.8kg and will be pretty easy to spot on the carousel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the newer--and pricier!--luggage is made with aircraft aluminum and other lightweight, sturdy materials. My cases--except for my carry-on set--are about ten years old and lighter than previous versions, but heavier than newer ones. I have Samsonite and Atlantic 21" and 26" cases, but mostly use the 21", unless visiting WDW.

When I switched to black cases, everyone was using cases of various colours/designs. Tapestry was really big. Now I use bright turquoise luggage tags to make them more visible.

Like Vixynne, I've invested in a travel scale to be sure my cases are weight compliant. Thank goodness for Southwest Airlines--no baggage fees for the first and second checked bag unless you exceed the dimensions and/or weight limitation of 50 lbs per bag. Although, they have mentioned that is subject to change. I'm hoping they'll keep the first bag free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixynne, post: 155103
    "Oh, that's mine--the one with the monkey!" *gigglefit*
    Love it!
    [CENTER]