Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: MP's Moon Landing Memories.

Post Thanks / Like
    AMAZING!! That's fantastic MP, thank you for showing us!

oh, and I agree with Isafari

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are awesome MP - thank you very much!

My parents used to have the newspaper put out that day - the whole front page just said "Man on the Moon"

I was only nearly 4 when it happened so I don't know now if I remember it or remember being told about it.

Even my DH says "oh it was nighttime in New Zealand when it happened" but when you look at the times it was early afternoon. Mind you it was winter so it did get dark early LOL (he was 8, so again a bit little to remember)

Hopefully the anniversary will be an opportunity for the current generation to get excited all over again! The part I think is most amazing is that they went all that way with computers less powerful than the ones in pocket calculators, and communications bandwidth less than a dial up modem!
    Next trip - Bali! (March 2015)

Post Thanks / Like
    Great stuff Diane! Takes me back a few years. Thanks for sharing!

Personally, I can't believe in ANY of the conspiracy theories about our moon landings! Let me tell you why.

In 1969, I was a rather naive 18 year old Airman in the United States Air Force. At the time, I was an Air Policeman (Sky Cop as we were called then) stationed at Headquarters TAC, Langely AFB, VA. Part of our area of responsibility was also the NASA facility at Langley.

Well, shortly after I arrived at this duty station, I was assigned to a team riding around at night in what was called a SAT vehicle (Security Alert Truck). Our job was essentially to just patrol our area of responsibility and be available to handle any security breaches that Security Control notified us of.

As I said, I was new to this assignment and this was my first night riding in a SAT vehicle. During our patrolling, we ended up out in some rather dark wooded areas in the relative back of the base. Little did I know that the more experienced team members had a surprise for me.

We're driving down this narrow dirt road in the woods, it's pitch black outside and with the exception of the illumination our headlights provide, you can't see anything but shadows. We slowly come around a curve in the track, come to a complete stop, and suddenly, our headlights are illuminating the surface of the moon! I was stunned! My mind couldn't comprehend what I was seeing. Directly in front of the truck, in the glare of the headlights, was literally the moon's surface extending off as far as the light of the headlights would allow me to see! Everyone in the truck was completely silent. A little quiet chatter from the radio with Security Central checking on the various posts but other than that, silence. The guys were letting me appreciate what I was seeing in silence. Finally, one of them says, "Whaddaya think?". What could I say! When he spoke however, it let me regain some of my perspective.

As my eyes adjusted to what they were seeing, off in the far distance, I could see tall towers reaching up into the night. Looking up overhead, there was a huge skeletal gantry that looked like just darker patches of an already dark night. It finally dawned on me that I was looking at NASA's Langley research facility and this was the Lunar Landing practice area.

Attached are a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what I was looking at.

Anyway, you can imagine the impression that all this made on a naive 18 year old. I was convinced then that this was all real. Nobody would go to that degree of trouble to stage a fake.

I believed it then, I believe it now. And nobody will ever convince me otherwise. Because I saw it with my own eyes!

Tom (... absolutely convinced! Thanks for letting me share!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    cool story tom and how exciting for you too :D
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Tom, what a brilliant memory! Thanks for telling us about it.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Brilliant Diane

All I remember is my Dad waking me up so that I could watch it on the telly - he said it was history in the making. I was sat on his lap asking questions and all he kept saying was "sshhh"

What an amazing story Tom it must have been brilliant to see it

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 151534
    I was sat on his lap asking questions and all he kept saying was "sshhh"
    Awww... At least you can remember seeing it.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    i was 11 at the time and watched every apollo moonshot from apollo 8 onwards....was there anymore before apollo 8 i cant remember :(
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Great pics. I wish I had kept mine.

Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Mags.

Thank you all for sharing these memories with me.
    [CENTER]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast