Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you all do

Post Thanks / Like
    We have carers come in to help with dd as she is getting bigger now. The first agency we had were hopless but the girls were lovely and trustworthy. I put up with the agency for a year but they were always letting us down at the last minute.
    I changed agencies and have had them for a couple of weeks now. We have problems already. The girl that comes here said she was leaving September to go on to college (good on her) but i did not want to get medical staff to train someone just for 2 months. I would not be able to leave them unless they are trained as dd seizures are really bad. I spoke to the agency and they said they would not put someone in here that was leaving soon, although they dropped themslfs in it. As she said we knew she did not get on the course two days earlier and she phoned that day to let them know. Double dutch to me or they were lying. I told her it did not make sense and then she said oh we did have someone lined up to replace her. The carer then said that evening that she did not get on the course because of her police record :sigh;. Whilst i do not think it was any harm to anyone i need to trust her, and i agree everyone needs a second chance. She is working with my dd though which is a worry. Her age has changed 3 time since she started here. I also hear whats going on with other families.
    So the question is do i swallow my pride and go back to the other agency for the bettergirls or do i stick this agency out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only had experience with caregivers in the senior needs setting Mainecoon Lover, but I must say, not having a background (criminal) clearance on someone who is coming into my home and touching my child would not work for me. :( We require all persons who are going to be in the home of a senior (or senior living setting) to clear a first level background screen, and some must clear second level (FBI clearance).

Is there the only two agencies?

I would say go with the people you think are going to be the most trustworthy and do the best job for your daughter.

It's a very difficult decision.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tink. They have a police check but i think it would only ring alarm bells if they had caused harm to a person. If she was convicted since in the job then it would not stop her doing the job as they only do checks when they first apply for the job.

There are more agencies but few for under 18.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm suspicious of the new place just by what you tell me. I had to have a criminal records check just to go in as a volunteer and read with children at Steven's school. And there's no way my age keeps changing. Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    But then she may have a conviction for a driving offence.

I think you have to go with your gut instinct as to what is best for your daughter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here, they must have background checks periodically for just that very reason.

Yep, changing ages would definitely put me off. Way off.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 5839
    But then she may have a conviction for a driving offence.

I think you have to go with your gut instinct as to what is best for your daughter.
    It was handling stolen goods. She said she did not know. FIL is ex police and he said they must have had a lot of evidence to convict her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eeeeesh. Not a good sign. I too believe everyone deserves a second, sometimes third (or more!) chance. Just not when it comes to providing care to a senior, disabled person, or child. :( Sorry, just too much of a chance to take.

It's not so much the stealing, as it is why she was involved with the stealing, and the people she may still be involved with. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 5855
    Eeeeesh. Not a good sign. I too believe everyone deserves a second, sometimes third (or more!) chance. Just not when it comes to providing care to a senior, disabled person, or child. :( Sorry, just too much of a chance to take.

It's not so much the stealing, as it is why she was involved with the stealing, and the people she may still be involved with. :(
    My thoughts exactly. Think its time to swallow my pride and go and have a chat with the other agency

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be concerned about that then. Someone coming into my house after being involved with thieves. Second chances yeah, but there has to be lines drawn somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast