Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Complications in hatching

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the special little baby that needed some help hatching. It pipped on Saturday Morning. By saturday Night it was not much further out but I decided to leave it as nature obviously knows best. By 12 noon on Sunday it had not go much further, a leg was poking out, so I put it in a humid 'tent' and went back to the bunk house where the HK group where staying. At about 8 that night it had turned around in the egg but the egg was so dry it was having difficulty getting out.
    After much debate I decided to help her out of the egg. I sprayed her lots and put her in a warm humid towel in the incubator for an hour, and then I took the egg out of the incubator and gently prised some shell away with tweezers. The egg was like concrete so I decided I would have to get her right out of the egg. I pulled a little bit of egg away so I could see if there was a yolk sack, and was shocked to find the baby inside was literally doubled over. She had a tiny yolk sack but she would have died if I had left her in the egg so I decided to interfere. One he was out I put her in a very humid pot inside the incubator, lined with damp kitchen roll, and left her in over night. The next morning when I checked she had dug down to the bottom and her yolk sack was fully absorbed. She weighed 13g, 14 after a bath.
    Here are the pics:

Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh little sweetheart. Will she make it Josh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Goodness! That's some work you've done there, Josh. I think it was a good choice you made; to help the wee one out.

You'll need a special name for her!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Awe, how precious is she!!! Please keep us updated on how she's doing Josh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awww, poor little thing! Good call Josh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneybumble, post: 153536
    Oh little sweetheart. Will she make it Josh.
    Yes Theres no reason for her not to- Whilst its not common it's not unheard of, and as long as they absorb the whole yolk sack there is no reason for them not to thrive. She has already eaten and is just as lively as the other babies :) (This was last week that she hatched, not this weekend)

Josh
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    awww they are all soooooo sweet josh and didnt realise how small they are
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    oh my goodness, well done Josh - i hope she's going to be ok

Post Thanks / Like
    Aww bless her, and well done to you Josh for helping to bring her into the world safely

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh josh she is just so sweet! When they are out its incredible to think they came out of such a tiny egg!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast