Thread: How do you plan?

Post Thanks / Like
    I mean really generally how do you make your arrangements for a Disney trip?

Do you just type everything into a document, use a spreadsheet or a diary or what?

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually keep everything in a special folder, a list of times and confirmation # for our ADR's. Copy of resort confirmation ect, For our flights I have a clear plastic envelope that came in a Disney resort confirmation years ago. It's the perfect size for tickets and such. i don't do a spread sheet, but our reciepts are kept in the folder so I can compare prices from year to year!

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to put ADRs and plans into my email calendar. Then it's always synced to my iphone so wherever we are, I can quickly get the ADR number etc. when it's needed
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a spreadsheet freak! Or geek--not sure which!

Initial planning and alternatives go onto a spreadsheet. Resort, rack rate, number of nights, etc. Then columns for rack rate totals, potential discounts: AAA (AA in UK), AP, General, etc. I'm just guessing on discount rates and tend to be a bit conservative. It's really just to get a feeling for how far my budget will stretch!

Then I add a section for airfare, ground transportation in PHX and Orlando, food & beverage, park tickets, etc. Things that won't necessarily change with resort changes. Most of this is guestimates, since I usually begin planning before Southwest releases their airfares. But it does provide a good idea of what I'll need to budget. :)

When everything is finalized, I create an Itinerary spreadsheet that includes ground and air transportation for everyone in our group, resort confirmations, ADRs--anything that requires a reservation/confirmation. On the back I print park hours for each day of our visit. Keeps everything on one piece of paper for everyone! :)

I keep everything related to the trip in sleeves (sheet protectors) in a three-ring binder. Any confirmations that are printed or received, maps, brochures, etc. Research for off site shopping, dining, etc.

When packing, my airline confirmation goes in my purse; everthing else is placed in a large manilla envelope and goes into my carry-on bag, except one copy of the itinerary. And I place one copy of the itinerary in each piece of luggage inside an evelope marked "Itinerary"--just in case my luggage goes astray!

I've learned to take extra copies of the printed itinerary, as well as mailing, emailing or faxing it to each person in our group.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taja, post: 154170
    I'm a spreadsheet freak! Or geek--not sure which!

Initial planning and alternatives go onto a spreadsheet. Resort, rack rate, number of nights, etc. Then columns for rack rate totals, potential discounts: AAA (AA in UK), AP, General, etc. I'm just guessing on discount rates and tend to be a bit conservative. It's really just to get a feeling for how far my budget will stretch!

Then I add a section for airfare, ground transportation in PHX and Orlando, food & beverage, park tickets, etc. Things that won't necessarily change with resort changes. Most of this is guestimates, since I usually begin planning before Southwest releases their airfares. But it does provide a good idea of what I'll need to budget. :)

When everything is finalized, I create an Itinerary spreadsheet that includes ground and air transportation for everyone in our group, resort confirmations, ADRs--anything that requires a reservation/confirmation. On the back I print park hours for each day of our visit. Keeps everything on one piece of paper for everyone! :)

I keep everything related to the trip in sleeves (sheet protectors) in a three-ring binder. Any confirmations that are printed or received, maps, brochures, etc. Research for off site shopping, dining, etc.

When packing, my airline confirmation goes in my purse; everthing else is placed in a large manilla envelope and goes into my carry-on bag, except one copy of the itinerary. And I place one copy of the itinerary in each piece of luggage inside an evelope marked "Itinerary"--just in case my luggage goes astray!

I've learned to take extra copies of the printed itinerary, as well as mailing, emailing or faxing it to each person in our group.

Wow I thought I was organised with a folder for everything, but you beat me hands down. I love lists and am forever doing new ones, I also keep my stuff in sleeves, confirmations, tickets, etc but am not so good on the research................... I must try harder

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually dont plan at all, hahaha, I just write down the confirmation numbers and travel agents phone in my agenda and go! hahaha

However this time I made an excel calendar with daily park and show times, all our ADRs times and confirmation numbers and which park we plan to spend the day...

I have also gathered extra info, like where the childcare centers are located, which foods to try, etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetlakes, post: 154184
    Wow I thought I was organised with a folder for everything, but you beat me hands down. I love lists and am forever doing new ones, I also keep my stuff in sleeves, confirmations, tickets, etc but am not so good on the research................... I must try harder

Nah! I over-research most of the time!
    And I'm a spreadsheet geek!

No one else wants to be bothered with planning, so I'm usually the one who has to find out about traveling with infants, what's suitable for children of different ages/heights, where to dine--suitable for different tastes--and all that stuff.

Lexie (Leu's DGD) was nine in December 2007 and was still too short for many of the attractions! There were six-year-old who were taller than her! She knew what to expect, though, as they visit Disneyland/CA several times each year. Her younger cousins are taller than she is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mari, post: 154187
    I usually dont plan at all, hahaha, I just write down the confirmation numbers and travel agents phone in my agenda and go! hahaha

However this time I made an excel calendar with daily park and show times, all our ADRs times and confirmation numbers and which park we plan to spend the day...

I have also gathered extra info, like where the childcare centers are located, which foods to try, etc...

Awwww mari, it makes such a difference doesn't it when you are planning for a little one - it also doubles the excitement and fun

Post Thanks / Like
    When planning a trip Excel and Word are my best friends but I find when I get there I can pretty much remember everything I need to and refer very little to my precious sheets. Sods law says if I lost them i'd forget my own name, there a securty blanket!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetlakes, post: 154189
    Awwww mari, it makes such a difference doesn't it when you are planning for a little one - it also doubles the excitement and fun
    Totally!