Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tortoise Graduation

Post Thanks / Like
    I upgraded the 'nursey table' today to give them a bit more interest now I know they are all eating and doing okay I felt it would be a bit more suitable to give them appropriate substrates

This one has already learnt to burrow
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    That is just too cute for words

You are going to keep the babies aren't you

Post Thanks / Like
    Awwww, keep the photo's coming Josh, theyre fantastic! I'm probably going to sound realy daft now, but do torts stick together or are they loners? Just wondered especially after you said about selling them in pairs - do they thrive more if they have company?

Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetlakes, post: 154020
    Awwww, keep the photo's coming Josh, theyre fantastic! I'm probably going to sound realy daft now, but do torts stick together or are they loners? Just wondered especially after you said about selling them in pairs - do they thrive more if they have company?

Linda
    Not daft at all! They are a mix of both. They are naturally soiltary however most breeders have found that when torts are sold in pairs they thrive, where as when they are sold singly it takes them a few days to 'get going' Which is why I'd prefer to sell in pairs. At the same time they don't really acknowledge each other either.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I see lettuce, what else do you feed them? And what is that little one burrowing in, what kind of material? I know that we tend to think of them as slow, do they move around a lot in their environment?

Keep those photos coming Josh! They really are super cute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bless!

Just in case anyone needs proof that I'm stupid, I looked at the second photo and thought wow, that's a lot of grated cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    S'ok Claire - id be lying if it didnt flash through my mind too!

They are so cute Josh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 154028
    I see lettuce, what else do you feed them? And what is that little one burrowing in, what kind of material? I know that we tend to think of them as slow, do they move around a lot in their environment?

Keep those photos coming Josh! They really are super cute!
    That's Romaine lettuce. One of the *very* few lettuces that actually has any nutrition in it. It's a bit of a naughty treat really but it has been none-stop rain here so they've had to have some of the lettuce that's in the house rather than the fresh weeds and flowers from the garden. On a normal day they'd get a mix of weeds and flowers from the garden;
    Dandelions, plantain, clover, lavatera, petuina, pansies, hibiscus, hawksbit, nipplewart (), Sowthistle, Milkthistle and more depending on what I find on that particular day. The healthiest diet for this species doesn't contain any fruit or veg, and shouldn't have lettuce in it too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire, post: 154044
    Bless!

Just in case anyone needs proof that I'm stupid, I looked at the second photo and thought wow, that's a lot of grated cheese!
    LOL, They are burying into Aubiose hemp. It's originally used for horses but because its so lightweight and easy to clean I use it for my torts too. Some do not like it being used for tortoises, they say it is too sharp, but I have never cut myself on it, and I've had much more damage done from sharp branches that I've had to rescue my torts from, and have seen wild tortoises in too. They love to burrow in it, too.

Josh
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely pic's Josh. But could you please stop posting them as I can't stop Linda from looking at them all the while, then for the next few hours it's Rob.......... can I have a Tort. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Josh, I love these pics. The whole thing of watching them growing up is fascinating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast