Thread: bugs in Disney?

Post Thanks / Like
    The horrible squelchy buzzy kind I mean how bad are they in summer? someone in the office is saying they once came back to their room in Disney and the door was completely covered in bugs! All the busses were covered and as soon as you walked out you'd get covered in them too

it cant be that bad? tell me its not that bad?!?!?!?!?1

Post Thanks / Like
    Your colleague is talking about "lovebugs" They emerge twice a year, usually end of April beginning of May and then again late August early September (weather dependant). Once they emerge, they mate which is why they are called love bugs - they are seen flying attached together. When mating is complete the male drops off and the female lives for around 3 days and lays her eggs during this time before also dying. Neither male or female have the capability of biting or stinging and so are harmless - they are just a pest!!

Most Villas have wonderful pool screens which stop the lovebugs from getting anywhere near you.

Although when they emerge there are lots of them, they don't last long and certainly have never spoiled our enjoyment of Florida

Post Thanks / Like
    Sunset is correct. I will also add the past couple of Lovebug cycles have not been bad. Last fall we barely noticed them and this past spring they were almost non-existent.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    ive never had to pay a deposit yet in 4 trips always in a villa :)
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFreak, post: 154396
    Sunset is correct. I will also add the past couple of Lovebug cycles have not been bad. Last fall we barely noticed them and this past spring they were almost non-existent.
    That's strange........................ we were there in May this year and only saw a couple - we put it down to the very wet weather, but hopefully it means that they won't have been too active in the mating business and we'll get less later in the year too

Post Thanks / Like
    Been there both in August and September and didnt see any.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been to WDW in August quite a few times and never saw anything of the kind. It sounds like something out of a Hitchcock movie.

off site- AUG 86 --- carribean beach JULY94
    all star movies JULY99- all star sports JULY00
    coronado JAN01---------all star sports AUG01
    all star music JULY02 ---All Star Movies Apr03
    POR JULY04 -------------Disneyland Hotel Aug 04
    Pop Century APR 05 -----Pop Century AuG 05
    Pop Century AUG 06-----Carribean beach Aug 07
    Pop Century Aug-08----- Pop Century Aug -09
    Pop Century Aug-11------Off Prop- Feb 12
    Caribbean Bch-Aug 12---Pop Century Aug 13
    Pop Dec 14---Pop Feb 15--Pop April 15

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have seen love bugs in massive numbers, but not at WDW or that immediate area. I was in Okeechobee in 2000 and the things were piled in corners of buildings and on window sills much like you'd see a light snow. The local cars and trucks were covered with them. It was the single worst experience I've ever had with those silly, harmless little bugs. A woman I was with started to speak on our walk to the restaurant, and one nearly flew in her mouth.

Now, all that to say, the only thing you'll see of them are stuck on the front of your rental car, and maybe an odd one here or there flying lazily around.

The only thing they harm is the finish on your car.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I went in May once and the only place I found them were hovering over the sand at the CS.

But when I lived there (Tampa), my van was covered in their remains. It was disgusting. They were pretty bad when I lived in the area.