Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packing...

Post Thanks / Like
    I both love it (because it means I'm going someplace!) and hate it (because I'm a terrible pack rat)...how do you optimize your packing for a week or more at Disney? Do you have any tips or tricks that help you to avoid over-packing or under-packing?
    Love isn't about finding someone you can live with.
    It's about finding someone you can share a lifetime with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never yet managed to pack just the right amount of "stuff". Why we all need 14 pairs of undies for 14 nights is beyond me really as we always stay in the villa and I put the washing on every couple of days - but still I just have to do it every time. Mike on here did a two week holiday with just carry on cases - his trip report is here http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/tri...008-index.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I always pack extra essentials (you know, socks, under clothes)...but I try to make outfits. One shirt, with one short, so my outfits are already to go. Then I usually pack one extra, just in case. I have sat in things then had to change. However, I don't pack those what ifs, like dresses, jeans, or nice outfits...I know that when I'm at disney, I wear shorts and t-shirts always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetlakes, post: 155187
    Mike on here did a two week holiday with just carry on cases - his trip report is here http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/tri...008-index.html
    I'm in awe of Mike's entire report, not to mention his family's packing skills! It shames me a bit, because it proves a two week trip can be done out of carry-ons, whereas I pack like a mad Sherpa on a bender--for just a 7 day trip!

I think I'm guilty of trying to pack for every possibility. Those what-ifs get me every time. What if I need a dressier outfit---the thought compels me to not just pack a dressy outfit, but sometimes sends me out shopping for a new one! A combination of what-if-itis and a driving need to not waste any park time doing laundry at the hotel is what usually gets me into frantic "pack everything" mode. And yet, on my last two trips to Disney, I came home with at least one or two sets of clothing that hadn't been worn. *sigh*

Mike and his family are my inspiration this time around...I don't think I can get myself down to just a carry on, but I am really going to try to pack lighter!

Any helpful tips would be very much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmmm...

Definitely need to read Mike's TR!

My only tip is to plan around one basic colour--usually black for me. It works well with my colouring and doesn't look filthy two seconds after I put it on!

We usually visit WDW for 10 to 12 nights. I try to take sufficient clothing to do laundry twice--mid-point and a day or so before returning home--plus one extra set. I really dislike doing laundry as soon as I arrive at home--and I usually go to the office immediately, which makes the thought of laundry even more distasteful!

We tend to visit WDW in December, so the weather is variable. So I also have to include a couple of thermal weave or sweat shirts to the mix.

Shoes are my biggest issue--even for short trips. I need two good pairs of walking shoes, which tend to be bulky, even if they aren't terribly heavy. But my feet dislike being stuffed into them all the time (I live in sandals year-round), so I take a pair of Birks for tooling around the resort (and as slippers) and a pair of nice-looking comfort sandals that I can wear for several hours of general walking or dress--but not in the parks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, Taja, I might need to pick your brain for help with packing for December in Orlando! I've always gone to Disney in July or August, because I'm a teacher; vacation-timing options are limited. Packing for August is probably a bit different than packing for December, right? I'm looking forward to wearing jeans for the first time in WDW!

Of course, jeans and fleece jackets take up more room than shorts and t-shirts...oh boy, this is going to be a packing adventure!

I'm also wondering if I should try to pack ALL of our stuff (mine and two kids' clothes) into just one gigantic suitcase, rather than pay $15/bag for three bags ($45 each way--that totals $90 just for luggage fees--sheesh, that's one really nice OOP meal right there)...or is packing in one suitcase a bad idea?

*ponders* Good thing I still have a few months to make these decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixynne, post: 155317
    Hmm, Taja, I might need to pick your brain for help with packing for December in Orlando! I've always gone to Disney in July or August, because I'm a teacher; vacation-timing options are limited. Packing for August is probably a bit different than packing for December, right? I'm looking forward to wearing jeans for the first time in WDW!

Of course, jeans and fleece jackets take up more room than shorts and t-shirts...oh boy, this is going to be a packing adventure!

I'm also wondering if I should try to pack ALL of our stuff (mine and two kids' clothes) into just one gigantic suitcase, rather than pay $15/bag for three bags ($45 each way--that totals $90 just for luggage fees--sheesh, that's one really nice OOP meal right there)...or is packing in one suitcase a bad idea?

*ponders* Good thing I still have a few months to make these decisions!
    Just a wee bit different! No need for warmer gear at WDW in the summer, that's for sure!

Quite a few members visit WDW in the cooler months, so you'll have to begin a thread when you're ready!

Post Thanks / Like
    Historically I pack for two weeks holiday plus a little extra, i've always hated the thought of 'wasting' time on holiday doing chores. Next time round I reckon I can be more sensible and realistic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodie, post: 155877
    Historically I pack for two weeks holiday plus a little extra, i've always hated the thought of 'wasting' time on holiday doing chores. Next time round I reckon I can be more sensible and realistic.
    You can plan laundry around pool or other relaxing time. For me, it's reading.

I still want to incorporate your repacking methods into future travels!

Post Thanks / Like
    I cant go to Disney and NOT buy stuff... hahaha

So I usually take at least 3 tshirts less than what I will need so I can go out and buy some cute Disney tshirts and not feel guilty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast